Toy cocker skin lesions

Old August 5th 03, 01:45 AM
Jay C.

Default Toy cocker skin lesions

We have a twelve year old toy cocker who developed skin lesions within
the past 3 months. She has never had any allergies in her life except
for the typical eye and ear irritations that we have been able to
treat topically.

About three months ago she began developing moist spots all over her
body, including under arms (legs) pits and on her belly. She has them
on her back and chest. They come in server al new batches all at
once. After awhile they dry out and start to flake.

We took her to the vet when this first occurred and he ran a whole
series of immediate tests on the lesion, trying to determine if it was
ringworm or something similar. The results were negative. ($300 later
:-(

He had us treat her with antibiotics, steroids (prednisone) and some
topical ointment. While she was on those medications, the lesions
disappeared but returned as soon as she was off of the steroids and
antibiotics.

We went through that routine again and the second time added a
treatment of Revolution for internal parasites.

Now, once again (third time) she is covered with the lesions and is
very miserable. She scratches quite often and the only relief we can
give her is some topical hydrocortizone spray on the lesions.

We have changed her food to a lamb based Science Diet. We are giving
her 3V Caps (Omega oils) which were prescribed by the vet. We bathe
her once a week with a medicated/anti-bacterial shampoo called
DermCare.

We tried Benedril without much success except at night for her to
sleep better.

Help! Any ideas to help her?

Thanks,

Jay C.
KILLSPAM doesn't belong in my email address...

help for a cocker Walt Dog health 27 January 12th 05 06:14 PM
Rough Skin and Hair Loss on Chocolate Lab LabattB Dog breeds 5 November 24th 03 01:33 AM
Border Collie skin irritation jj Dog health 6 August 30th 03 09:47 PM
Skin problems and Prednisone Andrea Dog health 0 August 29th 03 10:53 PM
Toy cocker skin lesions Jay C. Dog health 2 August 5th 03 05:42 AM