bad habit dog eating poop

Old March 14th 04, 06:34 AM
rascal

Default bad habit dog eating poop

I Have a 9 month old Boston Terrier that has started eating poop. I have tryed a product called deter which don't work and I have tryed for-bid which I got from the vet that worked but was expensive. I heard that the reason they do that is because there is something they are missing in the body chemistry. Are there a herb or something cheaper I can do to stop this nasty habit? Any suggestion on what they are lacking.

Old March 14th 04, 06:39 AM
culprit

"rascal" wrote in message
lkaboutpets.com...
I Have a 9 month old Boston Terrier that has started eating poop. I have

tryed a product called deter which don't work and I have tryed for-bid which
I got from the vet that worked but was expensive. I heard that the reason
they do that is because there is something they are missing in the body
chemistry. Are there a herb or something cheaper I can do to stop this
nasty habit? Any suggestion on what they are lacking.

what are you feeding him/her? and does your dog eat his own poop or the
poop of other dogs?

some people find that changing to a better quality food helps stop this
behavior.

-kelly

Old March 14th 04, 12:04 PM
wolf

feed it more often, maybe less amounts more oftern. i have found that the
dogs that are eating poop are being fed once a day, and when they need a
snack, they turn to poop. if you had fed it twice a day, then it may have
taken three, but if you only fed it once a day, then it may take feeding
more than twice a day at this point cause its already a refined habit... try
feeding your dog 3-4 times a day or whenever possible, but divide the meals
up so it doesnt get fat, nothing worse that seeing a poor obese dog that is
doomed for a life of bone problems, joint problems, and organ problems and
metabolism problems.

wolf

Wolfdogg's site
http://www.home.earthlink.net/~wolfdoggsite

"culprit" wrote in message

lkaboutpets.com...

Old March 14th 04, 07:44 PM
sighthounds etc.

On Sun, 14 Mar 2004 11:04:17 GMT, "wolf"
wrote:

feed it more often, maybe less amounts more oftern. i have found that the
dogs that are eating poop are being fed once a day, and when they need a
snack, they turn to poop. if you had fed it twice a day, then it may have
taken three, but if you only fed it once a day, then it may take feeding
more than twice a day at this point cause its already a refined habit... try
feeding your dog 3-4 times a day or whenever possible, but divide the meals
up so it doesnt get fat, nothing worse that seeing a poor obese dog that is
doomed for a life of bone problems, joint problems, and organ problems and
metabolism problems.

Sometimes dogs eat poop just because they're dogs. I feed a very high
quality food, and all the dogs are fed twice a day, including the
small dogs. My Whippets are still poop eaters, and one or two of the
others eat poopsicle. We have also had foster dogs of several breeds
over the years, mostly Greyhounds, and many of them eat poop. I don't
believe for a second that dogs eat poop because they're not being fed
often enough - - I've seen them eat poop an hour after breakfast.
There are only a few hard and fast rules about poop eating: 1) some
breeds seem to me more apt to do it than others. 2) Dogs that don't
eat poop ordinarily may eat poopsicles. 3) The only sure way to cure
it completely is to pick up every pile as it leaves the dog (some dogs
don't wait until it hits the ground). For some people, this just
isn't practical.

Mustang Sally

Wolfdogg's site
http://www.home.earthlink.net/~wolfdoggsite