risks

Old March 17th 04, 08:14 PM
J1Boss

Default risks

Ya know - the beginning agility thread is getting a little absurd, so I'm
changing the subject line! ;-D

Life worth living is not without risk. we risk our hearts when we give them to
others, we risk our lives everytime we step out our doors, drive our cars, take
a plane flight, whatever. I may be more conservative about some activities
than others, less so than others for other activities (like driving at um,,,,,
excessive speeds). I don't criticize those who take higher risks than I do,
because life itself carries risks,

As far as my dogs are concerned, they thrive on activity. I could keep them in
a lucite cubs I suppose, but what fun would that be? Even though it makes me
nervous, Franklin loves big ocean waves (surfer quality). While I wouldn't let
him out there TOO far or with a hurricane brewing, I realize that I risk his
life everytime I let him be a bit of a daredevil.

Flyball, although generally more injurious to people, is not without risk. My
dogs love it though, so risk is weighed and i go for it. With breed genetics,
Franklin could be diagnosed and die from cancer at any moment in his life -
that what if's can't stop us from enjoying activities that bring us
fulfillment.

I choose to throw balls and frisbees to minimize potential damage (no
leaping!), because of my dogs' structure. I condition my dogs and take
reasonable precautions - crating them in cars, teaching them good jumping,
deciding when rain makes things too slippery, whatever.

Choose to be overprotective, conservative but thoughfully risk-taking, or
all-out "whatever", but criticizing those who choose to risk "maybes" is a
little over the top.

Janet Boss
Best Friends Dog Obedience
"Nice Manners for the Family Pet"
Voted "Best of Baltimore 2001" - Baltimore Magazine
www.bestfriendsdogobedience.com
http://photos.yahoo.com/bestfriendsobedience

Old March 17th 04, 08:20 PM
Gwen Watson

J1Boss wrote:

Ya know - the beginning agility thread is getting a little absurd, so I'm
changing the subject line! ;-D

Yes Janet I agree with everything you said.

I didn't mean it to sound as though, those who chose to do this
were taking horrible risks with their dogs.

I meant it to be all about me, my concerns with my
dingbat training skills.

And as Robin said I *am* THE dumbest person she
has ever encountered.

I take many risks.

My dogs go outside, GASP, unsupervised. GASP
GASP, GASP. My kids did too. They road
bikes, they climbed trees, they swam alone, another
GASP.

So no this is not a slam on agility. I am very certain
less accidents and injuries happen in agility then happen at
home.

Gwen

Old March 17th 04, 09:08 PM
Gwen Watson

Handsome Jack Morrison wrote:

FWIW, I didn't feel that Gwen was actually criticizing those of us who
chose to undertake these added risks. And given some of Gwen's widely
advertised limitations, I can see why she might prefer a more
conservative approach.

Thank you Jack for being able to read and read without going into
defensive mode emotion. Which is what has occurred in
this thread.

Robin immediately ASSUMES because I say broken necks
I mean death and so did several others. Did anyone ask
first before they starting firing away. Nah I had insulted
them, their livelihood etc.because of an assumption
that me saying broken neck immediately = death. When
in fact it does not and it most certainly was NOT what
I was implying.

Gwen

Old March 17th 04, 09:29 PM
Alison

Hi Janet ,
Does this apply to letting cats out ? LOL.
Seriously, this is why I let my cat out but as this is a dog group
I'll shut up now
Alison