What kind of dog?

Old July 8th 03, 02:44 PM
SHOESMITHM

Default What kind of dog?

We live in the country and had to give away our last dog a mixed
Australian shepard and Australian cow dog??? He kept going to the neighbor
down the road and killing his chickens.

We are now looking for a new puppy but don't want to make the same mistake
again. We don't want a real agressive dog, but we would like to have one that
would bark when cars drive in. We are also concerned about it running off all
the time.

It does not have to be a registered or a pure bred, but what are some good
mixes?

Old July 8th 03, 03:26 PM
Suja

SHOESMITHM wrote:

We live in the country and had to give away our last dog a mixed
Australian shepard and Australian cow dog??? He kept going to the neighbor
down the road and killing his chickens.

Well, your dog is doing what lots of dogs tend to do - follow his
instincts. Dogs with high prey drives will do this, as will dogs who
are bored. Bored dogs tend to amuse themselves, often in ways that are
unacceptable to humans.

We are now looking for a new puppy but don't want to make the same mistake
again. We don't want a real agressive dog, but we would like to have one that
would bark when cars drive in. We are also concerned about it running off all
the time.

Your options would be to a) train the dog so that it stays within its
boundaries and doesn't harass things it shouldn't or b) keep the dog in
a secure area so that he can't go wandering off and getting into things
he shouldn't. If the dog is indoor with its humans while they're all in
the house and kept on leash, or at least be supervised by a human while
it is outside, the dog simply will not get the opportunity to get up to
any mischief.

It does not have to be a registered or a pure bred, but what are some good
mixes?

You will probably have better luck with an adult dog from a dog rescue
or the SPCA that is known to not be prone to this behavior than a
puppy. With a puppy, you get what you put into it, and if you are not
willing to spend an enormous amount of time teaching the pup about
acceptable and unacceptable behaviors, you are likely to have yet
another dog that will harass livestock.

Suja
Old July 8th 03, 05:46 PM

In ,
SHOESMITHM typed:

We are also concerned about it running off
all the time.

you aren't likely to find anyone here who will recommend *any*
breed or type of dog to you, because you apparently intend to
let it run loose outside, unsupervised. that's not fair to
the dog (predators, stray dogs, cars, and nearby neighbors all
present a danger to loose dogs). also, dogs are pack animals
and don't do well when left on their own (with the exception
of flock guardian breeds, but they have herds/flocks that take
the place of their pack).

if you're serious about getting a dog, please don't banish it
to the outdoors. allow it to live in your home with you and,
if you cannot supervise it when it's outside, provide a secure
place for it when it is outdoors.

shelly (vicious Borg hag tart) and elliott & harriet
http://home.bluemarble.net/~scouvrette

Old July 8th 03, 05:54 PM
Sionnach

"Suja" wrote:

You will probably have better luck with an adult dog from a dog rescue
or the SPCA

That's IF a rescue or SPCA will give a dog to someone who allowed their
last dog to run loose and unsupervised, got rid of it when the dog behaved
in normal fashion for an untrained, unsupervised, running loose dog, and
apparently wants to let the new dog also run loose.

Every rescue and shelter I'm familiar with would reject this person as an
adopter- and for good reason.

Old July 8th 03, 06:16 PM
Suja

Sionnach wrote:

That's IF a rescue or SPCA will give a dog to someone who allowed their
last dog to run loose and unsupervised, got rid of it when the dog behaved
in normal fashion for an untrained, unsupervised, running loose dog, and
apparently wants to let the new dog also run loose.

I was doing my best to not come across as being antagonistic, and
educate this person about the responsibilities of dog ownership at the
same time. There is nothing preventing this person from continuing this
trend if someone doesn't get it through to them that the dog needs to be
kept indoors and under supervision when outdoors. Anyway, I tried.

Every rescue and shelter I'm familiar with would reject this person as an
adopter- and for good reason.

I wish I could say the same. I had this conversation just yesterday
with someone who volunteers with FOHA (Friends of Homeless Animals).
She was telling me about some rescues she knows that allow dogs to be
adopted out at the adoption event, to people who have not been
previously screened, and at least one has been banned from doing their
events at Petsmart. At least one very successful and large rescue in
this area does the same - except they do the vet and reference checks on
the spot and a post adoption homecheck at a later point - which I
consider to be a rather risky practice. And, there are tons of shelters
that'll let you just go home with whatever pet you choose, as long as
you're willing to pay the adoption fee.

Suja
Old July 8th 03, 11:53 PM
Rosa Palmén

"SHOESMITHM" wrote in message
We live in the country and had to give away our last dog a mixed
Australian shepard and Australian cow dog??? He kept going to the

neighbor
down the road and killing his chickens.

We are now looking for a new puppy but don't want to make the same mistake
again. We don't want a real agressive dog, but we would like to have one

that
would bark when cars drive in. We are also concerned about it running off

all
the time.

It does not have to be a registered or a pure bred, but what are some good
mixes?

Hmm....

Most dogs have that prey-instinct, it is something that you can train out of
some, but others can be hard to train. If you are going to keep your dog
loose so it will have the opportunity to go hunting, then it probably will.
To me the dog you had shouldn't have had any exceptional ly high prey-drive,
so finding some breed or mix less likely to go out hunting could be hard.
How did you try to train your last dog to stay in the yard?
Maybe what you need is the help of a trainer, or if you want to do it the
easy way - don't let the dog loose unsupervised. Fence in your yard if you
don't want to keep an eye on it all the time, and want it to be able to walk
around on its own.
Do remember that any dog can get bored if it doesn't get anything to do -
and a bored dog will amuse itself. So more longer walks, more play and
training might help too.

Rosa