My dog panting all the time

Old September 21st 03, 10:09 AM
David

Default My dog panting all the time

I am getting a bit worried about Max, my 12 year old Maremma. Over the past few months he has
begun to pant more and more, until at present he seems to pant a great deal of the time.

This is inlcudes when he is just lying down watching TV, and at night when it is quite cold -
now he is "retired" he sleeps inside. Note that it is Winter here is Oz.

It seems to me that he has some of the symptoms that I suffer from - ie a shortage of breath and
creaky joints. Maybe we are both getting too old.

David - who welcomes any ideas or suggestions
Old September 21st 03, 11:50 AM
buglady

"David" wrote in message
I am getting a bit worried about Max, my 12 year old Maremma. Over the

past few months he has
begun to pant more and more, until at present he seems to pant a great

deal of the time.

........Might be his heart, I'd get him checked out at the vet.

buglady
take out the dog before replying

Old September 22nd 03, 12:41 PM
cplus

I would trust what others say here as they seem to know their stuff. My dog
a 75lb german shepherd drinks A LOT but it's usually at one time. He
doesn't go to the bowl more than the other dog but drinks for twice as long
and he is in good health. You didn't specify if the dog drank a long time
or just drank more often so I'm offering my experience

Old September 23rd 03, 03:02 AM
David

First off, thanks to all those that replied - much appreciated.

I haven't noticed any real change in his drinking habits, tho he now wakes me up most nights to
go to the loo - usually about 1 or 2 am, then again at 5 or 6 am. Because he also still assumes
responsibility for guarding the house I cannot be sure that he just wants the loo tho - the
others bark much of the night to ward off foxes, bats, owls, etc.

Before he 'retired' he was always an outdoor dog at night - only since I have had the pups (six
of them - now 12 months old - anyone want a Maremma? or 2? very cheap!) looking after the
guarding has he been sleeping indoors.

Prior to having the pups I just the doors open and he would wander in and out as he pleased, but
the pups are thieves so doors are now shut.

One thing has changed tho - he now seems to want to sleep on a bed or an armchair whereas before
he only ever slept on the floor - but this varies and some nights he sleeps alongside my bed,
others he sleeps in the spare room bed or on a chair in the lounge room. (he is my mate so
whatever he wants is OK with me, except he is too big to sleep on my bed)

David

Old September 24th 03, 12:00 PM
J*O*d*Y

My 1 year old Lab started panting chronically... 10-12 hour sessions... he would wake up in the
middle of the night and start.... If he had a minute or two of exercise, he would go into excessive
pant mode too. (Heart rate would go up to 240)... He has a laryngeal mass (not impairing
swallowing) and damaged lungs (infiltrated by eosinophils).... We installed central air - and
reduced his exercise to a minimum, and he is 95% better now. The problem is still there, but under
control....

We recently encountered a vet who insisted this was normal.... (where did this idiot get his
license?) He said..."So what. Dogs pant. This is normal. If it bothers you, kick him out of the
bedroom." I felt like kicking him out of his office.....

JP

--
"Sorry for the inconvenience, but I've inserted a spam-filter in my email address.
When you hit 'reply' to email me, you must "Take out the TRASH...." or your email