I would like to address ANYONE except Puppy Wiz

Old March 24th 04, 03:51 AM
Scott

Default I would like to address ANYONE except Puppy Wiz

Phyloe wrote:

I need some suggestions on training my puppy.

Anticipate what could likely go wrong, i.e., chewing furniture, pooping
inside, spilling the water bowl, digging in the garden, getting
underfoot, escaping, getting clawed by the cat or mauled by a dog. Then
make whatever modifications are necessary to insure that the problems
don't occur. The proper use of a crate will probably be helpful.
When the pup does something wrong, keep reminding yourself that you are
the one who made the mistake, not the puppy. Choose a positive method
of reinforcement and begin training right away, but do take into account
the puppy's age and whether or not your expectations are reasonable.
Take special care to insure the health of your puppy--proper food,
water, and low impact exercise. Don't go jogging with him or encourage
him to jump. Keep in mind that you are the pack leader and as such, are
expected to protect your pup from harm. Do lots of reading on the
subject of training a puppy

Actually, your inquiry should read: I need some suggestions on training
my puppy's new owner/handler/pack leader. Enjoy!

By the way, how old is your puppy and what breed is he?

Old March 24th 04, 04:47 AM
Rocky

Scott said in rec.pets.dogs.behavior:

[snip]

By the way, how old is your puppy and what breed is he?

Good advise and well put, Scott.