Canine vision influenced by skull size and shape

Old March 24th 04, 11:03 PM
JOKERPit1

Default Canine vision influenced by skull size and shape

idiot
"Handsome Jack Morrison"
wrote in message
Interesting new paper on canine vision...

http://tinyurl.com/3feo6

I haven't digested it all yet(or what it might

mean for handling,
training, etc. certain breeds), but I (and Bark

Magazine) think it
boils down to:

1. long-nosed dogs have a line of high-density

vision cells running
across the retina(unlike humans), i.e., more

peripheral vision, thus
an increased ability to detect moving game at a

distance

2. short-nosed or flat-faced dogs have these

same vision cells
arranged in a centralized spot on the

retina(much like a humans do)

3. short-nosed and flat-faced dogs have nearly

three times the density
of vision cells as long-nosed dogs, suggesting

that they might be able
to see in much higher definition than long-nosed

dogs

This theory should be rather easy to test, but I

think I'll leave that
to the "experts."

--
Handsome Jack Morrison
*gently remove the detonator to reply via e-mail

Hidden Numbers: What the NYTimes won't tell you

about its own poll!

http://www.nationalreview.com/commen...0403190840.asp

Professor Bainbridge

Daniel Drezner