distemper nightmare

Old March 25th 04, 01:07 AM
Atom1

Default distemper nightmare

I just wanted to share- we take in foster dogs, get them shots, fix 'em,
feed 'em and try to relocate them. We got one we called Lily who was
completely white and the only one of her litter that survived. Her mama
was
owned but her people wouldn't spay her and litter after litter was
abandoned
wherever. *******i's! Anyhow Lily got the distemper shot and it was
touch
and go whether she got it in time (we knew that's what the others had died
of).

Now I knew little about distemper (enough that we didn't want it), but I
had not actually ever seen it and
devastion it causes to the unfortunate dog. It was HORRIBLE. One minute
she seemed fine, and then all of a sudden a seizure would come on. She'd
shiver convulse and whine uncontrollably for hours at a time. And then
just
as suddenly she'd be up perky as always. This gave you hope. But then
another seizure would suddenly wrack her little body into spastic
contortions and the pitiful whines. I found her in the hall with a huge
pool of foam around her coming form her mouth. They elicited tears from
even my big meateater, 'oh not another one',eyes rolling in his head DH,
when I brought her home. The disease is so cruel, it fools you with hope,
but everytime the seizures came they took a little more out of her. She
was
unaware of anything when she was in the throws of a fit. There was no
comfort we could offer.

They don't euthanize here as a rule, pretty much nature rules ergo the no
spay/neuter (these attitudes are SLOWLY changing, thankfully). So as I'm
balling, she's writhing, my
husband is talking to her soothingly, he puts the little doggy pillow over
her nose ( I had to beg him to do it because I just couldn't bear it
anymore). A few futile gasps and she was gone. I try so hard not to get
attached to
them since I know I'll be giving them away. But this little girl just
touched us. I can't believe people would not get their dogs proper shots.
I'd heard about the disease, but until you see it, you can not fathom the
agony and feel so helpless.

Thanks for letting me share Lily's story

Michelle
Italy