Puppy Separation HELP!

Old March 27th 04, 10:04 PM
Welles Hackett

Default Puppy Separation HELP!

Hi all,

New to this newsgroup and hoping for a little advise. Here is my situation.
I have a 9 week old puppy (shepherd lab mix), she is very sweet and things
have been moving along at a good pace with her. She is basically
housetrained and loves her crate which we have been using to house train her
with. I have done my research and have been doing what I consider a decent
job with her so far. I have read numerous books and am taking the
information that I deem to suit her the best. I have not rewarded her bad
behavior, avoid giving attention when she cries etc etc. (I am pretty much
using the monks books they seem to make the most sense with me). I have by
no means spoiled her. She seems to have one little issue that I can't seem
to get over.

When I leave her she flips out, I have tried progressively increasing the
time I'm gone. I avoid hellos and goodbyes. I try not to come to her when
she's whining/barking. Nothing seems to work. Today I left and she was
screaming for an hour and a half, she was horse when I came back. I know
that I should just let her scream through it and eventually it should stop.
But she seems to be making little or no progress here.

Here is an interesting thing. If I leave her when she's asleep she seems
fine when I get back. Also she seems better if I leave her crated rather
than say, in the kitchen when I go.

Thanks.