roommate's dog

Old March 28th 04, 10:07 PM
dave

Default roommate's dog

Hi, I have two dogs (11 and 6 years old) that are well trained, and
now have a roommate with a 10 year old australian shepherd that has,
in moy opinion, some behavior problems. I would like to address these
problems, but she (the roommate) does not approve of my approaches.

The dog is sweet, likes me, and is generally well tempered. However,
he whines a lot, barks loudly at passers by (won't stop when I tell
him to be quiet), gets in the trash and steals food off the counter,
and will not come when called unless he feels like it. We're trying
techniques to fix the trash/counters problem (hidden mousetraps seem
to help, as it worked perfectly for my dogs), the best I can do with
the barking is to gently hold his mouth shut, and the whining....don't
really know what to do about that.

On the last thing though, the not coming when called, is where I had
the big conflict with his owner. Yesterday the front gate was open as
we were bringing in groceries, and he started to walk out it.
Normally this isn't a huge problem if he goes out onto the sidewalk,
but he started playing his game where I'd call him, and he'd decide he
didn't want to come so he would move further away from me. So I just
quickly grabbed him by the fur on his back, not to cause pain but
simply to say "I'm the boss, I mean business, and you have no choice
but to obey". I was not overly harsh, but I am aware that being
grabbed by the fur is uncomfortable and is somewhat of a last resort.

Anyway, the dog, not being used to this, snapped at me. (very slightly
broke the skin on my hand, no big deal). Regardless, I didn't let go,
the dog realized I meant business and neither the running away nor the
snapping at me was rewarded. In my opinion, I established my
dominance, and a lesson was learned, and he is less likely to play the
game again.

So I told my roommate about this, and she got very upset that I
"manhandled" her dog and "taught him to bite". She says she has
trained her dog to protect her against agressive people, so he is not
used to being manhandled like that and it will mess up his training.
She doesn't even want me to grab his collar and lead him by it (as I
sometimes do around the house when I want him to leave a room and he
refuses to obey voice commands.....such as if he is barking at the
doorbell), she thinks I should go get a leash, attach it to him, and
then I can lead him from a room (I'm a little unclear on how to attach
a leash to a dog that isn't cooperating).

He's only snapped at me one other time (I was trying to lead him by
the collar and he was refusing to go), and generally I have a great
relationship with the dog. I throw toys for him, hug and pet him a
lot...you know, its not like he thinks I am the big mean guy who grabs
his fur and manhandles him all the time (and I've never hit him). I
work at home so I am around him a lot. I have never let my dogs get
away with running away from me, and it has worked very well. Mine
know if I raise my voice, I mean business, and they obey, and its very
rare that I have to physically grab them. (one of my dogs in
particular, an English Shepherd which is almost identical to an
Aussie, tends to amaze people at her ability to go on walks in the
middle of a crowded city without a leash.....she heels perfectly and
is in perfect control)

I like my roommate as well as her dog, I don't want them to move out
or anything....but we just had this big argument over it, and it seems
to me that she is telling me that I am not allowed to enforce any
rules on her dog (unless it is purely by using a leash and by using
treats), which makes living with him very difficult.

Any ideas? Are her arguments valid?
Old March 29th 04, 02:05 AM
Leah

(dave) wrote:
I like my roommate as well as her dog, I don't want them to move out
or anything....but we just had this big argument over it, and it seems
to me that she is telling me that I am not allowed to enforce any
rules on her dog (unless it is purely by using a leash and by using
treats), which makes living with him very difficult.

Any ideas? Are her arguments valid?

Her dog, her rules. Would you want somebody disciplining your dog in a way
that you didn't like?

That dog definitely needs training, and I'd highly suggest that both of you
take him to an obedience class. You'll both learn a lot.

I also would be angry if you handled my dogs that way. Yes, you have to
establish leadership. No, being physically rough is not the way to do it. I
always tell my students to have the attitude, "I asked you to do it, it's
inevitable you're going to have to, honey." And the "honey" part is important.
What happens if you discipline a child by hitting him? Aren't you teaching
him to hit to get his way? You are teaching the dog to bite to defend himself.

Here's what I recommend to my students to establish leadership:
http://k9deb.com/nilif.htm

It's especially important that you do not associate coming when called to
anything unpleasant to the dog. You want the dog to eagerly spin and run to
you, not think, "I dunno, when I come to you you're mean to me."

In our classes, we teach dogs to wait at doors until given permission to go
through them, and also to come when called. We do it by making it rewarding to
them to behave properly. So like I said, search out a class that teaches those
things. Believe it or not, you *can* teach an old dog new tricks. :}

PetsMart Pet Trainer
My Kids, My Students, My Life:
http://hometown.aol.com/dfrntdrums/m...age/index.html
Last updated June 27 at 10:00 a.m.

Old March 29th 04, 04:17 AM
Rocky

Leah said in rec.pets.dogs.behavior:

I also would be angry if you handled my dogs that way.

To Dave.

And, in case you think that it's a "girl thing", I agree with
Leah. A few years ago, I rained holy terror on an female
acquaintance who gave Rocky a scruff shake for barking while
playing at chase.

What you describe as teaching dominance is just instilling fear.
You say that you own an English Shepherd - you should know how
hand shy herding breeds can be.