MacKenzie's Dog Aggression

Old March 29th 04, 09:27 AM
Leah

Default MacKenzie's Dog Aggression

By the way, I never told you guys that I had Kenzie evaluated by the
behaviorist. We narrowed it down to in an enclosed area, with direct eye
contact from the other dog (no problem with those who approach her sideways and
sniff), and only if I'm the one walking her. So it's territorial with some
protectiveness thrown in. She told me to grab her head to establish eye
contact and say "No." I worked with her for a while, also praising and
treating when she was relaxed, and made a lot of progress quickly. No puppy
prozac necessary. :}

Her reactions weren't as dramatic as they were the first time I brought her
into PetsMart and she shocked me by acting that way, and I figure that's
because I had already been working with her at home to stop her from
challenging her sisters. As soon as she'd curl a lip, I'd calmly lead her into
the bathroom and give her a 10 second time-out. When she came out, everything
would be okay. There hasn't been another incident that's gone further than a
curled lip and a growl since the time I posted my concern about her a couple of
months ago.

At PetsMart, I only had to grab her head the first time. Not roughly, not a
scruff shake, just a way to immediately get her focus. After that, I'd just
stand over her and give her the "eye," and she'd look up at me, her eyes would
soften, she'd dip her head and give me a little tail wag. Oops, sorry, mom. :}
I got her to within 3' of dogs staring at her without a reaction from her.

I'm going to take her to PetsMart on my days off and work with her some more.

The behaviorist said she should be fine at the dog park, but I still don't feel
comfortable enough to take her back there yet.

PetsMart Pet Trainer
My Kids, My Students, My Life:
http://hometown.aol.com/dfrntdrums/m...age/index.html
Last updated June 27 at 10:00 a.m.

Old March 29th 04, 04:51 PM
DogStar716

By the way, I never told you guys that I had Kenzie evaluated by the
behaviorist. We narrowed it down to in an enclosed area, with direct eye
contact from the other dog (no problem with those who approach her sideways
and
sniff), and only if I'm the one walking her.

And you , as a trainer, couldn't figure this out?
Dogstar716
My Dogs: http://hometown.aol.com/dogstar716/TheBoys.html

Old March 30th 04, 06:59 AM
Leah

(DogStar716) wrote:

By the way, I never told you guys that I had Kenzie evaluated by the
behaviorist. We narrowed it down to in an enclosed area, with direct eye
contact from the other dog (no problem with those who approach her sideways
and
sniff), and only if I'm the one walking her.

And you , as a trainer, couldn't figure this out?

I didn't know that she displayed no aggression if somebody else (the
behaviorist) walked her, no. The rest I knew. I wanted confirmation from
somebody who knew more about dog aggression that she didn't need meds and
advice about behavior modification techniques.

I wouldn't have tried grabbing her face to focus her back on me without Susan's
guidance. Actually, I was reluctant to do that. But it worked very well.

Old March 30th 04, 04:40 PM
Tricia9999

I wouldn't have tried grabbing her face to focus her back on me without
Susan's
guidance. Actually, I was reluctant to do that. But it worked very well.

Don't you have a verbal cue to get reliable attention back to you?