NEED HELP- paw pad cut

Old September 24th 03, 06:59 PM
victor

Default NEED HELP- paw pad cut

I've had my female german shepard dog now for over one year and i take
her for long hikes. This morning a she cut her paw pad on a peice of
glass on the back part of her pad about 3/8 long and 1/2 deep it bleed
for some time. i got the bleeding to stop cleaned it with an alcohol
solution which made her cry for about a minute(poor thing)wraped it in
a small towel and put duct tape around it to hold it in place. should
i be doing anything else? or should it heal on its own in a couple of
weeks.
PLEASE HELP
victor
Old September 24th 03, 08:41 PM
Suja

victor wrote:

I've had my female german shepard dog now for over one year and i take
her for long hikes. This morning a she cut her paw pad on a peice of
glass on the back part of her pad about 3/8 long and 1/2 deep it bleed
for some time. i got the bleeding to stop cleaned it with an alcohol
solution which made her cry for about a minute(poor thing)wraped it in
a small towel and put duct tape around it to hold it in place. should
i be doing anything else? or should it heal on its own in a couple of
weeks.

Khan's cut his paw pad many times, and they all healed pretty nicely in
a couple of weeks. Keep doing what you're doing. Clean it routinely,
change the dressing, keep your dog from bothering it and keep it from
getting wet/dirty. You can put a topical ointment like Neosporin to the
wound to help it heal. Restrict her activity to on-leash walks only for
some time so that she doesn't aggravate her injury or reopen the wound.

We had a lot of trouble keeping his dressing from getting wet/dirty
while on walks, and ended up using a plastic bag held in place by duct
tape put over the bandage. Looked very odd, but worked like a charm.

If the wound appears to be very deep or she seems to be in pain (mine
didn't act like his paw pad was cut at all), see a vet. Since this is
your first time dealing with this issue, give your vet a call anyway and
see what they have to say.

Suja

Old September 24th 03, 08:44 PM
Cate

"victor" wrote in message
om...
I've had my female german shepard dog now for over one year and i take
her for long hikes. This morning a she cut her paw pad on a peice of
glass on the back part of her pad about 3/8 long and 1/2 deep it bleed
for some time.

If it's truly 1/2 an inch deep, she probably needs sutures or staples. If
it's a clean slice, such as a piece of glass might do, it's an especially
good candidate for suturing.

Best to have a vet check it out.

Cate

Old September 24th 03, 10:54 PM
Jess

soak in warm salt water. then put peroxide to coagulate. my 2 cents.
good luck...

lesswordsmeanmorejessthought...

Old September 24th 03, 10:54 PM
Jess

Old September 25th 03, 02:19 AM
Rocky

Cate said in rec.pets.dogs.health:

If it's truly 1/2 an inch deep, she probably needs sutures
or staples. If it's a clean slice, such as a piece of glass
might do, it's an especially good candidate for suturing.

But not a good candidate if Victor waits too long.

A 1/2" deep slice would be right through the pad in many dogs,
so it's definitely vet time. I've dealt with minor pad slices
using antibacterial cream and vet wrap, but this doesn't sound
minor.

Old September 25th 03, 03:45 AM
Cate

"Rocky" wrote in message
Cate said in rec.pets.dogs.health:

If it's truly 1/2 an inch deep, she probably needs sutures
or staples. If it's a clean slice, such as a piece of glass
might do, it's an especially good candidate for suturing.

But not a good candidate if Victor waits too long.

Agreed. I hope he's taken her to the vet by now.

A 1/2" deep slice would be right through the pad in many dogs,
so it's definitely vet time. I've dealt with minor pad slices
using antibacterial cream and vet wrap, but this doesn't sound
minor.

Yep on both counts. Orson's cut his pads many times, many ways. 1/2 inch
deep would have me at the vet asap. Pads are difficult to suture (that is,
difficult to hold sutures because the dog will put pressure on the foot)
even if the cut is deep enough to warrant it, but you never know until the
vet takes a look.

Even if sutures or staples aren't the ticket here, there may be debris (ie.,
glass) in the wound that needs to come out to avoid infection.

Cate