Q: Ideas for Games to play with a dog

Old March 30th 04, 08:45 AM
Simon G

Default Q: Ideas for Games to play with a dog

Tobi is an almost 7-months labradoodle puppy. He is fun, adorable, and very
intelligent and smart (and I am a very objective father of course... ;-).

I am looking for ideas for games to play with him. Most of the toys that give
mental exercise are too basic for now, and are pretty much all around food. The
ball with the hole for treats to fall out when he rolls it is easy by now.
Putting treats inside of bongs doesn't last long either.

What would you suggest, on two fronts:
- Games I can play with him
- Perhaps "smarter" toys

Thanks,
Simon

Old March 30th 04, 03:15 PM
Sionnach

"Simon G" wrote:

Putting treats inside of bongs doesn't last long either.

Ha. I don't usually comment on typos, but... that one's pretty funny.

What would you suggest, on two fronts:
- Games I can play with him

Start teaching him tricks; if you're so inclined, combine this with
clicker work. (Great sources for trick ideas: "Dog Tricks" and "Teaching
your dog to talk", both by Benjamin and Haggerty.)

Get a tug toy, and teach "take it", "drop it", and "give".
("Drop it" is drop the toy on the floor; "Give" is putting it in your
hand or letting go when your hand is on it. The ability to get your dog to
release something when he's excited might save his life some day.)

Hide and seek with a favorite toy; this can be combined with "stay" work-
put the dog on a stay in another room, hide the toy, then release the dog to
find it.

Old March 30th 04, 05:33 PM
Tee

"Sionnach" wrote in message

"Simon G" wrote:

Putting treats inside of bongs doesn't last long either.

Ha. I don't usually comment on typos, but... that one's pretty funny.

Hitting for Treats. Sounds like a game title if ever I heard one.

--
Tara