"distraction training"

Old March 30th 04, 09:33 PM
culprit

Default "distraction training"

we're supposed to do "distraction training" with the invisible fence. the
idea being that we toss a ball or something to the other side of the fence,
with the dog on a leash, and make sure they don't bolt through the fence
after it.
ok, no problem.

but how do you really know how they'll respond off leash?

apparently, you throw a deer at them.

yesterday, i had just let Manu outside, when i realized there was a very
frightened doe standing in the middle of the yard, staring at me. Manu
noticed her quickly, and took off. i've NEVER seen him run like that.
apparently deer make for great exercise!
anyway, the deer bounded through the yard and into the neighbor's field (she
obviously hasn't met their GSD), and Manu stopped well before the fence. he
then sniffed along the fence boundry for a bit, then turned around and ran
back inside.

so now we know. Manu can be trusted not to leave the yard.

i don't think i'll try this test with Lola.

-kelly

--
not an EXPERT
but i think my dogs are cuter than yours!.