Need help with Biting Beagle

Old April 1st 04, 11:56 AM
Timberwolf

Default Need help with Biting Beagle

I live in S. Florida, and have a problem that I need help with.

We have a 2.5 YO male beagle, and he has bitten each of our 2 children.
Today was serious, and required a plastic surgeon to stitch my son's nose
back up at the hospital ER.

It isn't all his fault, though. The kids seemed to enjoy taunting and
teasing him, and getting him to bark, howl, and growl at them.

Obviously, he gets fed up. We have tried, but the kids won't stop.

I called animal control and they picked him up, and will quarantine him
for 10 days for rabies check, then put him to sleep. The saddest part,
was when animal control arrived, we went to the garage to get him, and
he happily grabbed his leash (which was attached to his collar) in his
mouth ready to go for a walk.

Is there any hope for him? It would really break my heart to have him
euthanized, as he is a sweetheart when not defensive/growling/barking. He
has this thing he does, which if I lie on the floor on my back, he puts
his head on my neck, and rubs his head against me, like kissing/hugging
me.

Does he need to be euthanized? Or can he be re-trained for placement? Can
this tendancy be removed? He is such a beautiful animal, and it's
breaking my heart. However, I would hate for this to happen to another
family. My wife refuses to have anything to do with him after today, and
I can't disagree with her, considering what he did to my oldest.

Please help.

Tony