QUESTION

Old April 1st 04, 09:21 PM
Christian Langis

Default QUESTION

Hi There.

The question is whether euthanasia is the only option.

My brother has a dog with an attitude. He believes that he did not raise
her with enough discipline.

The result is that when he walks her (a Labrador), she barks and pulls
on the choke leash (prrety much as a sleigh dog) everytime a little
poodle or cat passes by. That is not so bad since my brother always
manages to keep his grip on the leash.

Problem is that last time, she went so deep into this uncontrolable
episode that she bit him at the calf. Not enough to pierce the skin but
it certainly did a good job on his pairs of jeans.

What should he do (other than wasting megabucks on a pet shrink).

Thanks.

Please reply only to:

Old April 1st 04, 09:31 PM
Tee

"Christian Langis" wrote in message
Hi There.

The question is whether euthanasia is the only option.

My brother has a dog with an attitude. He believes that he did not raise
her with enough discipline.

The result is that when he walks her (a Labrador), she barks and pulls
on the choke leash (prrety much as a sleigh dog) everytime a little
poodle or cat passes by. That is not so bad since my brother always
manages to keep his grip on the leash.

Problem is that last time, she went so deep into this uncontrolable
episode that she bit him at the calf. Not enough to pierce the skin but
it certainly did a good job on his pairs of jeans.

What should he do (other than wasting megabucks on a pet shrink).

By "pet shrink" are you referring to an animal behaviorist or one of those
animal "psychiatrists"? The former is someone who understands animal
behavior much like a trainer understands how to train a dog to do certain
things. The behaviorist doesn't talk to, or read, a dog like some of the
professed psychiatrists do. Behaviorists can actually be very beneficial.
I'd recommend seeking a trainer first though. Sounds like the dog needs to
be retrained IMO.

--
Tara

Old April 1st 04, 09:32 PM
smellitfirst

Sounds like a minor problem, barking and pulling at the leash is classic
misbehavior. Certainly not worthy of euthanasia.
Maybe leave the dog at a shelter or find it a better home where minor
misbehavior at the fault of the owner isn't a death sentence. And someone
bothers to learn basic training methods. Training a dog is not rocket
science.

Old April 1st 04, 09:38 PM
Tee

"smellitfirst" wrote in message
Sounds like a minor problem, barking and pulling at the leash is classic
misbehavior. Certainly not worthy of euthanasia.
Maybe leave the dog at a shelter or find it a better home where minor
misbehavior at the fault of the owner isn't a death sentence. And someone
bothers to learn basic training methods. Training a dog is not rocket
science.

Leaving the dog at a shelter is almost certainly a death sentence. Labs are
already overpopulating shelters and the purebreds are being euthanized just
as quickly as the Lab mixes are. I don't find the idea of dropping the dog
off at a shelter where its crowded, noisy, strange and impersonal to be any
kind of favor to the dog.

--
Tara