need help: puppy nurses clothing and toys after weaning

Old April 3rd 04, 04:16 PM
Ken Bower

Default need help: puppy nurses clothing and toys after weaning

We got our now 4 month old female shih tzu at 7 weeks. About a month
later we got our male - he is also 4 months old.

Increasingly over the last few weeks the female nurses toys and my
wife's clothing (she is primary caretaker).

I have read some previous posts on this group and it
seems this behavior stems from separating the pup from mom
after weaning - I think I recall the breeder saying that's what
happened.

What do we do to correct this behavior?
Any other comments ?

Old April 4th 04, 04:15 PM
The Anti Kathy

Increasingly over the last few weeks the female nurses toys and my
wife's clothing (she is primary caretaker).

Give her something appropriate to nurse on. We gave our last poodle a nice
stuffed animal with long, floppy ears, and nicely stuffed a corner in her mouth
when she wanted to nurse.
She grew to adore her stuffy, and never destroyed them. We gave her a new one
each Christmas, and she would take care of it from one year to the next. When
she was stressed, she'd go suck on the stuffy. 17 years later she was still
doing it, but hey, it's an appropriate place for it, and if it gave her
comfort, so much the better!

HTH,

Anti
New puppy mommy, but old hand at poodles.