Pet Expo

Old April 5th 04, 06:57 PM
Suja

Default Pet Expo

The Super Pet Expo was in my neck of the woods this weekend. I
generally don't go to these things because they get too crowded, but a
group I know of was doing microchipping (Home Again for $29.95,
including registration), so I decided to get Khan done. Rajesh had to
work, so he stayed home with Pan. There is no way I was taking 200+ lb.
of dogs in by myself.

Khan did not get the concept of standing in line. 'Hey, why are we
stopping?' 'Oh goodie, we're moving again...noooo, don't stop'. 'I
wanna sniff that dog' - well, you get the picture. We walked around for
a bit, and found the Chicken Man. Very cool - guy had a chicken on his
head, and it was trained to do tricks. Khan was just going out of his
mind. Didn't know which dog he wanted to sniff first. We had a heck of
a time finding the booth for the chipping, but got there with a little
guidance. The chipping was EZ. Took all of 3 seconds, and Khan didn't
notice. It took longer to locate the chip after it was implanted, which
made me wonder if someone who didn't know he was chipped would be able
to find it underneath all that hair.

After we wandered around a bit, it became quite obvious that it would be
easier on me if I didn't have to constantly put Khan in sit-stays and
down-stays (with people stepping over him or on his tail) as I wandered
down the aisles and stopped to look at stuff. He was impeccably well
behaved, and several people asked me if I was a trainer (HA!), but it
wasn't fair to him to put him in such a vulnerable position.So, we ran
back and he stayed in the car while I did some shopping.

I wasn't overly impressed with what they had there. Got some pup cakes
(beef, chicken, PB and cheese) and doggie scones. Ran into lots of
people I know - some from the dog park, some from various rescues. Hung
out for a looong time with the Malamute Rescue, ogling their wonderful
dogs. Wouldn't you know it, one of the dogs they currently have in
rescue is wonderful with all dogs and is dog park material! And he was
sooo cute too, with his little tipped over ears. I also got to meet one
of the puppies they had taken in a couple of months ago. Almost
uniformally, the dogs behaved themselves, and were great ambassadors for
the breed. I also spent some time at the booth that the Shepherd rescue
had. Right around the time I was getting ready to leave, we got in a
sable puppy (8 weeks old). One of the volunteers sat in a corner with
the puppy in her lap, and needless to say, it attracted A LOT of
traffic. I know that we made a very nice chunk of change during the
past 3 days.

Got to meet lots of cool dogs. Tons of labs, GRs, etc., lot more Danes
than I expected, including a puppy, a couple of Clumbers, some lovely
Greys, a gorgeous Saint, a pair of Filas, the fattest Berner I've ever
seen, and the biggest, friendliest Mastiff puppy ever. And wouldn't you
know it, the poster dog for a 'Don't let doggie odor stink up your
house' booth was a Boxer!

Came home to find out that Pan was just beside herself when we left.
She whined the whole time we were gone and stuck to DH like glue, but
wouldn't really interact with him. He said that he tried to play with
her to get her mind off things, but she acted she she was a little
unsure of his intentions (she normally plays with him, gives him kisses,
sleeps with her head on his lap, etc.). He took her outside the house
to see if he can get her to play outdoors, but she'd just run to the
garage and stand there whining. I guess we have to set up some DH-Pan
activities to get her over this thing. We have a doggie B'day party
(don't ask) coming up on the 18th, and I know that we'll be gone for a
lot longer than this time.

Suja

Old April 5th 04, 07:57 PM
Judy

"Suja" wrote in message
The chipping was EZ. Took all of 3 seconds, and Khan didn't
notice. It took longer to locate the chip after it was implanted, which
made me wonder if someone who didn't know he was chipped would be able
to find it underneath all that hair.

If it will make you feel better, the next time you're at the vet have them
check for it. Even if they have the Avid scanner and not the Home Again,
they can tell if there is a chip there - just can't read it. I just had
Spenser's vet check for his Avid chip when they put a Home Again into Sassy.
They only have a Home Again scanner but could locate the presence of
Spenser's chip right where it should be.

Sounds like you had a fun day!
--
~~Judy
"Dogs are not our whole life, but