Potty training pup is so difficult :(

Old April 9th 04, 03:44 AM
karen+ang

Default Potty training pup is so difficult :(

Whatever information I've read definitely didn't prepare me for the
real thing. I don't know what I'm doing right and what I'm doing
wrong. So I would appreciate some advice.

I live in an apartment and tried paper training my 8 1/2 weeks old pup
right from the beginning. I place a play pen with her bed (she doesn't
like to sleep on the bed), her toys and her water and food in one
corner of our living area. In the play pen, I put newspapers and then
a floor mat with holes on it on top of the newspapers. This is what
the breeder used and this is what she recommended. The pup would pee
inside then pen but when we let her out, she would pee just right
outside of the pen, still on the little newspapers that's there. So
this morning, I tried laying papers on the outside of her pen (without
the mat). I opened her pen door, and she followed me to the kitchen.
While preparing her food (which she's eating rather irregularly), she
went back to the living area and peed on the newspapers outside of the
pen.

Now, the thing is .. what should I do after this? Should I continue to
allow her to pee on the newspapers/mat outside the pen? I talked to
the breeder and she said that she did let the pups out of the fenced
area after a meal. Or must I force her to pee inside the pen? The
thing is .. it's very difficult for me to predict when she wants to
pee and poo. She only pooed twice so far - first time in the morning
two days ago, and last night at around 2am! Even though I'm at home
most of the times, it was difficult for me to predict when she pees. I
read that pups peed after playing, meals and sleeping. But this is not
my pup's pattern at all! Like after dinner at 7pm last night, she only
pooed when I saw it this morning at 1.30am! And I went to bed at 10pm
so I'm sure it was between 10pm to 1.30am.

Also, she's very very playful. In fact, if my husband or I are
standing near the pen to catch her peeing (so that we can praise her),
she'll not do it but play with us, even though we never reciprocated.

I also read that instinctively dogs would not sleep in the soiled
areas. But my pup will just play on the mat where she soiled on. She
would even sleep there!

Last night, I left her in the pen to sleep. She woke me up with her
whinings. Even though I sat beside her, she still continued to whine.
In the end, I carried her to my bed (it's afterall her second night
with us only), but she still whined a little. Thinking that she's not
used to the bed, I put her back in the pen. After some time, she went
back to sleep. But again later, she whined and her whining just didn't
stop until I lay down beside her pen but ignored her totally. After
about 15 minutes of whining, she grew tired and slept till this
morning.

Am I doing anything wrong?

karen
http://karen.webvis.net