Cleaning teeth

Old September 26th 03, 04:48 AM
Monika I. Neszvecsko

Default Cleaning teeth

More than once I heard experienced dog owners praise the benefits of feeding
raw chicken wings to dogs to clean their teeth. How does one introduce raw
meat to a dog that is fed dry kibble? Are there any risks of upsetting
their stomach? How many wings and how often per day/week for a healthy
cleaning? Does that mean daily kibble intake must be reduced?
Thank you for any advise.
Monika

Old September 30th 03, 03:59 AM
Scott

My 10 month old German shepherd dog has been fed chicken necks and backs since
she was two months old, along with a variety of raw meats and a small amount of
veggies, fruit, and supplements. There have been no problems at all, and her
teeth are as clean as can be. If I were going to feed kibble and chicken
necks/backs, I would feed the necks/backs in the morning and the kibble at
night. Yes, you would reduce the amount of kibble. The amount depends on the
size of the dog. I feed about 12 oz. of chicken necks/backs in the morning and
about 14 oz of meat in the evening, although I often mix the two. I generally
trim the fat that is easily trimmed because I don't want a fat dog. I simply
put it in the bowl and set it outside. The dog does the rest. If you just
want to clean the teeth and don't want to feed the chicken necks/backs as part
of a daily diet, just try it a couple times a week and see how it goes. If
you intend to feed an all natural diet, you need to do some reading. Here
is a bit of information: http://leerburg.com/diet.htm

Old November 1st 03, 05:57 PM
GAUBSTER2

The major reason for the
tarter on a dogs teeth is from too much calcium in the kibble.

I don't suppose that's the case, but that's why one should feed a food that is
lower in calcium, while still meeting the animal's nutritional needs--like
Science Diet!

Chicken backs and wings are the softest but even if you grind the
bones a dogs teeth will stay tarter free.

If the dog consumes ground up bone, wouldn't that be a diet very high in
calcium, and therefore be something you advise against?

Old November 2nd 03, 11:59 PM
GAUBSTER2

Check out how much calcium is in commercial dog food and you will find
no dog could eat enough bones to come close the amount added.
Difference is bones are natural and the calcium in food is just an
additive.

Calcium is calcium. The amounts of calcium in a dog food should be the levels
neccessary for a dog (and hopefully no excesses). Therefore, using your
example, a dog won't get "enough" calcium by eating raw bones? What's healthy
about that?

I fed my dogs the
"best" kibble I could find until he started being sick all the time
and then I started to study commerical dog foods.

What do you mean by "sick all the time"? And which foods were you feeding?

I think the most
interesting concept is that the health experts for humans recommend a
varied diet low is processed and preserved food and to eat more fresh
and whole foods while the animal experts are still recommending highly
processed diet with no variation.

What is meant by "whole foods"?

Lumps-Opinions alie Dog health 62 August 12th 03 07:33 PM
Teeth Cleaning Grinder Dog health 30 July 29th 03 07:26 AM