6 mos old Yorkie housetraining

Old April 11th 04, 04:28 PM
klminor

Default 6 mos old Yorkie housetraining

Our Yorkie is 6 mos. old and weighs about 8 pounds and is currently
trained to use wee-wee pads. He was doing very well with this method
of training and it was working well for us since we both work and the
dog is home alone for at least 10 hrs each week day. We have a "play
yard" (i.e. plan pen area) in our kitchen which has his crate with a
soft bed inside, his wee-wee pad is in the other corner, and I also
keep fresh water in there.
Recently, though, the dog has been regressing. He's urinating on the
wee-wee pad as always, but pooping on it sporadically (some on and
some off). Also, he's been shredding the wee-wee pad when
unsupervised. I believe that the wee-wee pad method was good when he
was younger since we cannot be home to let him go outside every couple
of hours. But, I've realized that we've taught him not to hold it and
I'm concerned about this for the long run.
I would like to start teaching him to go outside; now that he's older
I think he should be able to hold it longer when we are at work.
Although, I read that dogs can only "hold it" for as long as their age
(i.e. 4 hours for 4 mos old, etc...) I'm not sure if I wait until he's
10 months old I may not be able to re-train him to go outside.
I'm confused and would like to do what's best...What is the best
method to use to start training him to go outside now that he already
uses the wee-wee pad and what should my expectations be as to how long
he can actually "hold it"?
Old April 11th 04, 10:04 PM
Alison

"klminor" wrote in message
m...
Our Yorkie is 6 mos. old and weighs about 8 pounds and is currently
trained to use wee-wee pads. He was doing very well with this

method
of training and it was working well for us since we both work and

the
dog is home alone for at least 10 hrs each week day.

At *least* ten hours a day ?

I'm confused and would like to do what's best

The best thing you can do is to get someone to look after your pup in
the day or to have someone to call in at lunch time to let him out in
the yard and play with him.
I expect your puppy is shredding the pad is lonely and bored and you
cannot expect to house train him in circumstances like this.
Alison

Old April 11th 04, 10:52 PM
Jo Wolf

Consider moving the wee-pad into a dog style litter box, then starting
to add small litter to it.
From friends and students using a dog litter box, I understand that they
make the transition to outside easily. And because they can sort of
cover the feces, some dogs really prefer the litter.

But, yes, having someone come in during the day to take him out to potty
and for a short romp will help a great deal.

Jo Wolf
Martinez, Georgia