Dog Pee on my Carpet!

Old September 26th 03, 04:54 PM
bandabee

Default Dog Pee on my Carpet!

What's the best solution to getting rid of Dog Pee on my carpets (and cloth
furniture, and clothes, and other porous items)? What's your favourite
brand of cleaner?

My dog is a pomeranian. (Aren't they supposed to be kind of stupid when it
comes to washroom etiquette) And i think he's sort of incontinent, or just
REALLY EASILY excitable, and then he drips if he's too excited. We got him
from an owner who kept him in a cage. (so we think he might be neurotic).

Sometimes he stares at us, and then we're smart enough to figure out that he
wants to go outside. Sometimes he just doesn't make any indication and just
goes somewhere, even in front of us!

Today he just lifted his leg in front of me and peed by the door, then ran
under the bed.

I've tried FEBREZE, which only gets rid of some of the smell.

I'm almost finished with the 'SHOUT CARPET' which i don't think it even does
anything. Still got yellow stains and bad smell.

I've tried something called 'ODOR DISPOSERS-HOUSEBREAKING AID' which u spray
somewhere and the dog is supposed to want to pee there. And this product
seems to have absolutely NO effect whatsoever.

ARRRRRR I'm dying in a pit of DOG PEE SMELL!!!!!

Old September 26th 03, 05:08 PM

"bandabee" writes:

What's the best solution to getting rid of Dog Pee on my carpets (and cloth
furniture, and clothes, and other porous items)? What's your favourite
brand of cleaner?

I use Nature's Miracle. There are supposedly enzymes that should help
neutralize the smell of the urine. It seems to work really well. You
can get it at Petsmart or Petco (and other pet shops, I'm sure).

Alice

Old September 26th 03, 05:22 PM
Child

"bandabee" wrote in

[...]

I like a product called "Simple Solution" or another called "Natures
Miracle". Both have an enzyme that basically make the pee into
something else. It might take several applications to fully get rid of
deep dried urine stain - but if you douse the stain in the stuff, put a
folded towel on it with some large books to weight it down overnight, it
usually comes up with one application. The smell will go away.

--
BethF, Anchorage, AK

It's YOUR God.
They are YOUR rules.
YOU burn in hell.

Old September 26th 03, 07:01 PM
FurPaw

bandabee wrote:
What's the best solution to getting rid of Dog Pee on my carpets (and cloth
furniture, and clothes, and other porous items)? What's your favourite
brand of cleaner?

We use Nature's Miracle, available on-line or at pet stores. It contains
enzymes that break down the urine and smell. Follow the directions on the
bottle.

You might need an ultraviolet light to detect all of the urine spots.
Dried urine fluoresces in the presence of UV light. Also check pet stores
for this.

If your dog has peed all over the place, you might consider having a
professional carpet cleaning done, using urine-removing enzymes. Home
carpet steam-cleaners didn't do a complete job at my in-laws house, but the
odor seemed to disappear after the professional cleaning.

Your next step will be to start housebreaking training from ground zero.
IMO, the most important things here are prevention - don't give your dog
the opportunity to pee inside - and reward - praise him lavishly when he
pees outside. Don't yell at him or punish him for peeing inside. If you
catch him in the act, pick him up and carry him outside immediately. If
you don't catch him, don't rub his nose in it. Take him out first thing in
the morning, a few minutes after eating, and every couple of hours in
between. Don't let him run freely in the house without supervision, so
that you'll be more likely to notice a signal or catch him in the act. If
you can't watch him every minute, you can leash him to your belt if you're
moving around, or put him in his crate (which must be completely deodorized
if he's peed in there). When he pees outside, praise him, but don't rush
him back into the house (if he likes to sniff or putz or play outside,
rushing him back in will effectively punish peeing). If he gives you a
signal that he wants to go out, praise that, too.

And remember, patience. He's already established the habit of peeing in
the house. It will take a while to extinguish this behavior and replace it
with peeing outside.

Oh, you don't give his age. Is he less than a year old? If he's still a
puppy, his tiny bladder may need emptying more often than you'd suspect.

HTH

FurPaw

--
Brain cells come and brain cells go, but fat cells live forever.

To reply, unleash the dog.

Old September 26th 03, 07:02 PM
FurPaw

bandabee wrote:
What's the best solution to getting rid of Dog Pee on my carpets (and cloth
furniture, and clothes, and other porous items)? What's your favourite
brand of cleaner?

One more thing - have you had him checked by a vet? Sometimes incontinence
is caused by a urinary tract infection.

FurPaw

Old September 26th 03, 08:10 PM
Sharon

When he pees outside, praise him, but don't rush
him back into the house (if he likes to sniff or putz or play outside,
rushing him back in will effectively punish peeing). If he gives you a
signal that he wants to go out, praise that, too.

With our dogs, when we trained them we also praised highly when they peed
outside. We immediately gave them a treat too (we use pieces of carrot). We
slowly started giving them the treat as we got closer to the back door until
the treat became an indoor thing after peeing outside. Now they do their
business and make a happy beeline for the back door so they can get their
carrot.

-Sharon