Two dogs, and thinking of adding a third

Old April 14th 04, 09:58 PM
Jim

Default Two dogs, and thinking of adding a third

Looking for some advice. Currently have two dogs, one female mixed
breed, almost 11 years old, and one male golden-border collie mix,
almost 5 years old. Recently, the female has been having some serious
health issues, and is even less active than before. The male dog is
visibly bored with having a less than energetic playmate, but is very
attached to her. They have both been properly socialized, and love
other dogs. My wife and I are thinking of rescuing another dog, and
bringing it home as a new playmate, and to perhaps ease the difficulty
of losing the other dog, which may only be a matter of time. Thoughts
by anyone?
Old April 14th 04, 10:49 PM

On 14 Apr 2004 13:58:26 -0700 Jim whittled these words:
Looking for some advice. Currently have two dogs, one female mixed
breed, almost 11 years old, and one male golden-border collie mix,
almost 5 years old. Recently, the female has been having some serious
health issues, and is even less active than before. The male dog is
visibly bored with having a less than energetic playmate, but is very
attached to her. They have both been properly socialized, and love
other dogs. My wife and I are thinking of rescuing another dog, and
bringing it home as a new playmate, and to perhaps ease the difficulty
of losing the other dog, which may only be a matter of time. Thoughts
by anyone?

Its a reasonable idea. It would be my preference in your situation.

--
Diane Blackman
http://dog-play.com/

Old April 14th 04, 11:42 PM
AndreaS

"Jim" wrote
snip
My wife and I are thinking of rescuing another dog, and
bringing it home as a new playmate, and to perhaps ease the difficulty
of losing the other dog, which may only be a matter of time. Thoughts
by anyone?

Jim, sounds like a great idea! My only recommendation is not to get an
overly boisterous youngster who may stress your older girl too much with
crazy antics. But you probably knew that.

--
-Andrea Stone
Saorsa Basenjis

Old April 15th 04, 04:14 AM
Rocky

Jim said in rec.pets.dogs.behavior:

My wife and I are thinking of rescuing another dog, and
bringing it home as a new playmate, and to perhaps ease the
difficulty of losing the other dog, which may only be a
matter of time.

That's exactly what I did. In my situation, two dogs is the
perfect number, but that necessitates owning three at some
point.

I bought in a younger (very active) rescue dog to join my 13
year old and 3 year old. It worked out very well.