Backseat ... err ... handlers

Old April 19th 04, 02:21 AM

Default Backseat ... err ... handlers

One of the consequences of any kind of public activity is the dubious joy
of hearing from those who coulda woulda done better. This week-end's
herding trials did not display us in our finest form. And those backseat
handlers were - well I don't give them enough mind to call them annoying,
but they were a minor irritation.

Satuday's run started out OK, but quicly deteriorated. The sheep were
light and I wasn't attentive to keeping Tsuki back far enough. It bacame
more chase than herding and the judge called the run about the same time I
did. I try to keep these things in perspective, not fret over them, and
just learn from them. But it really bothered me.

So for Sunday I commited that I would not allow him to reinforce the chase
by deciding that the first run back tothe draw I was going to call it. A
big part of Saturday's problem was stying too long in the hopes I could
salvage the run and get back control. And I did until he'd get too close
and the sheep would run and *blam* no control. So Sunday's run started
out great. Very very controlled. Then Tsuki pushed up too close and the
sheep headed for home. He went to get them, and the seoncid I saw that
tail cranking I called him off and called the run over. Then I got the
"But he was doing great. Why didn't you ...." My favorite was from the
guy how had my problems all diagnosed, but he runs an Australian Shepherd.
Most of the, including his dog, can work much closer to the sheep than
Tsuki can. ACtually that's part of MY problem. Most of my models work
closer. I've been getting better about picking new models. (Models being
the people I watch to get ideas about how to handle) Well, nevermind the
backseat handlers. I felt actually pretty good about the run, as short as
it was. At least I ended with some good work done, and under control.
Not only do I feel comfortable I made the right choice but the reaction of
two handlers who have seen us run several times before helped.

One of my goals in having my trainer run him a couple weeks ago was
realized. That is I felt no need to try to qualify since I didn't need
the qualifying score. In a sense I was already "throwing away" my entry
money, and in another sense I was not. After all I could have moved him
up, BUT he's not ready to be moved up, so why not take the opportunity to
problem solve.

And of course the main issue is not Mr. Tsuki, its that I need more
experience handling. And no way to get that but to do it. But I have to
do it without encouraging bad habits. Arrrgh - Oh well, its all a
learning experience. 4 weeks to the next trial.

--
Diane Blackman
http://dog-play.com/