dogs and weather

Old April 19th 04, 04:26 PM
Marie

Default dogs and weather

Macula is currently standing on the deck: tail down (unusual), rumbly little
growls emanating from her throat, and just the smallest amount of hackles
raised around the ruff of her neck.

The weather channel is predicting "possible thunder storms" for this
afternoon.

Do you think she knows? She's never been *frightened* of storms, but she
doesn't really like them either--she'll lean against us more if we're
sitting during one and is not really interested in play or treats during
them.

I trust the weather network to be accurate about 30% of the time. My
sinuses (which ache before storms) I figure have about a 50% accuracy rate.
I wonder how accurate Macula might be? Are any of your dogs good weather
vanes?

Marie

Old April 19th 04, 04:40 PM

In article .rogers.com,
Marie wrote:
Do you think she knows?

Sure - the dogs can tell that the pressure is dropping. My
guys don't want to be outside during the 8 hours or so
before a front comes through, and Emmett, who normally does
love his food, won't eat.

If the Bush tax cuts really create 300,000 jobs/month
through 2004, it will have cost $871,046 per job

Old April 19th 04, 07:22 PM
Judy

"Melinda Shore" wrote in message
In article .rogers.com,
Marie wrote:
Do you think she knows?

Sure - the dogs can tell that the pressure is dropping. My
guys don't want to be outside during the 8 hours or so
before a front comes through, and Emmett, who normally does
love his food, won't eat.

That's interesting. Most wildlife has the opposite reaction to an
approaching storm. They will go on a feeding frenzy - stay out feeding long
past times that they would normally have searched out beds.

I've had dogs growl back at distant thunder - but once it gets closer
they're better at recognizing it.

DH and a friend were on a backpack hunting trip and found that they both had
made their way back to camp in the middle of the day - in time to get
battened down before the late afternoon storm hit. Neither one had made a
conscious decision to return to camp but they both did.

And I find that wind makes most animals nervous. (And boy do we have wind
today!) They can't trust their nose or their ears so they tend to seek out
secure places.
--
~~Judy
"Dogs are not our whole life, but

Old April 19th 04, 07:28 PM

Judy wrote:
That's interesting. Most wildlife has the opposite reaction to an
approaching storm. They will go on a feeding frenzy - stay out feeding long
past times that they would normally have searched out beds.

Horses in a windstorm - boy, that's some kind of fun. (Just
kidding!)

DH and a friend were on a backpack hunting trip and found that they both had
made their way back to camp in the middle of the day - in time to get
battened down before the late afternoon storm hit. Neither one had made a
conscious decision to return to camp but they both did.

If you spend a lot of time outside you develop a pretty good
sense about what's going on with the weather, etc. I grew
up sailing and for some reason always know where north is
and can generally tell what's going to happen with the
weather over the next 12 hours or so. The dogs, though,
feel it in their bones and let it affect their behavior in
very big ways. The cats don't seem as bothered by it,
although they do get squirrely during a storm.