Pet Insurance

Old September 29th 03, 06:30 PM
Chris S

Default Pet Insurance

Hi,

I used to be insured with ASDA for my Dog.
Unfortunately they have ended the insurance service so I am on the lookout
for another company.
I have heard that E&L are not very good, so I won't be using them.
Can you recommend any good insurances?
About £10 to £15 a month.

Thanks

Old September 29th 03, 09:01 PM
Selkie

"Chris S" wrote in message
Hi,

I used to be insured with ASDA for my Dog.
Unfortunately they have ended the insurance service so I am on the lookout
for another company.
I have heard that E&L are not very good, so I won't be using them.
Can you recommend any good insurances?
About £10 to £15 a month.

Thanks

I have 4 cats and a dog insured with Direct Line. £24.00 a month. I moved
from Petplan and have been with them for 4 years without any quibbles on any
claims at all. Even had an extended claim which they suggested I kept open
in case the cats' eye flared up again. Normally there is a bill and the same
condition can't be re claimed for.
I've certainly saved back the cost of what I pay per month.

selkie

---

Old October 25th 03, 05:03 AM
Chris

Tesco seems pretty good. I wish I had bought the insurance! I cant insure my
dog now because she is ill. Its already cost me a few quid.

Chris

Old October 25th 03, 07:54 PM
Steve

"Chris" wrote in
:

Tesco seems pretty good. I wish I had bought the insurance! I cant
insure my dog now because she is ill. Its already cost me a few quid.

Chris

The thing you have to look out for is whether the insurance company will
continue paying for treatment after 12 months - a lot of the cheaper
insurance companies won't. Also a lot of the cheaper firms don't pay out
for dental care which is something else to keep in mind. I used Petplan for
many years and had no problems re. claims etc but they are the most
expensive (I think) on the market. I thought of changing recently when I
got my new pup but ended up sticking with Petplan after finding too many
negatives with the cheaper firms. The vet recommended Petplan too.

Steve

Old October 26th 03, 10:35 AM
Ben Franklin

"Steve" wrote in message
"Chris" wrote in
:

Tesco seems pretty good. I wish I had bought the insurance! I cant
insure my dog now because she is ill. Its already cost me a few quid.

Chris

The thing you have to look out for is whether the insurance company will
continue paying for treatment after 12 months - a lot of the cheaper
insurance companies won't. Also a lot of the cheaper firms don't pay out
for dental care which is something else to keep in mind. I used Petplan

for
many years and had no problems re. claims etc but they are the most
expensive (I think) on the market. I thought of changing recently when I
got my new pup but ended up sticking with Petplan after finding too many
negatives with the cheaper firms. The vet recommended Petplan too.

Steve

Unfortunately, most of the companies seem to be owned by just a few of the
big insurance names and they are hedged with restrictions. I used to be
with Dog Breeders' Insurance and they were excellent. However, they are now
part of Cornhill and their cover is poor and full of restrictions.

The best policies appear to be the Kennel Club's and Saga's, which provide
lifetime cover for chronic complaints such as diabetes etc. As I'm over 50
my dog is insured through Saga.

Ben Franklin