Male and Female dogs...Question

Old April 25th 04, 06:02 PM
Arwen

Default Male and Female dogs...Question

hi.

I was wondering if its true that male and female dogs always get on well and
don't fight?

Im taking my dog for a dog meet at the local RSPCA shelter. He is a collie
and seemed laid back enough, even though when we met him all the dogs were
barking at him and he seemed not too bothered. He barked back at some of
them but he seemed unbothered.

Thing is we used to have another female dog and she and my current dog (also
female) got into several big fights. We had to put the other dog down (due
to illness) but i have just started a new job and my dog is stressed and my
vet suggested I get another dog to keep her company. He didnt seem to think
aggression was a big issue with a male dog (also the other female who was
sick always started the fights.. never my current dog). Im just really
worried. the staff at the RSPCA didnt know much about his history coz he had
just been brought in from the pound. They did say he passed 3
behaviourists's tests for agression. But they said to bring in my dog to see
what will happen.

So my question is this: Do female and male dogs eget along or do they get
into fights too? What should I expect whenI bring him home? Any advice?

---

Old April 25th 04, 09:12 PM
Phyllis

I have a female mixed chow and I rescued a male lab mix when my female was 4
years old. At first she wanted nothing to do with the male. She couldn't
stand him. The male on the other thought she was the best! I named him
Ginger's Shadow. After some time had passed, my female started to
appreciate his company and they settled in well with each other and playing
together. Occassionally, there will be a dog fight over treats or a chew
toy but not very often. My female submits because my lab is a little
larger. The only weird thing is, both dogs are fixed but my female is
always trying to mount my male. He lays down very scared and jumps up after
a second to get away from her. When I asked my vet why my female starts
acting like a male, my vet said it is because she's showing she's the
dominant one. My male has never mounted her. Here I thought he was the
dominant one because he attacks her first. Sorry for rambling, probably a
little more information than you were looking for. IMO, having a male and
female works better than like gender.

Phyllis

. au...

Old April 25th 04, 09:19 PM

On Mon, 26 Apr 2004 01:02:59 +0800 Arwen whittled these words:
hi.

I was wondering if its true that male and female dogs always get on well and
don't fight?

No, it is not true. There is very little in this world in which
someothing is "always" true. *Usually* a male and a female is a good bet
to at least tolerate each other. But While it is uncommon for male and
female to fight it is not *so* uncommon that you could call it "rare." It
is not "rare" just unuusual. All these unspecific words because there are
all kinds f factors that will influence the chances. Breed is the most
significant, breeding background, socialization, training, and interpack
dynmaics are all factors. Sometimes the addition or substraction of a
*different* member of the household can influence the relationships
between two existing dogs, even if they are opposite sex.

Im taking my dog for a dog meet at the local RSPCA shelter. He is a collie
and seemed laid back enough, even though when we met him all the dogs were
barking at him and he seemed not too bothered. He barked back at some of
them but he seemed unbothered.

Thing is we used to have another female dog and she and my current dog (also
female) got into several big fights.

Same sex aggression is common.

We had to put the other dog down (due
to illness) but i have just started a new job and my dog is stressed and my
vet suggested I get another dog to keep her company. He didnt seem to think
aggression was a big issue with a male dog (also the other female who was
sick always started the fights.. never my current dog).

Depending upon breed, same sex aggression between two males is often (not
always) less serious than same sex aggression between females.

Im just really
worried. the staff at the RSPCA didnt know much about his history coz he had
just been brought in from the pound. They did say he passed 3
behaviourists's tests for agression. But they said to bring in my dog to see
what will happen.

So my question is this: Do female and male dogs eget along or do they get
into fights too? What should I expect whenI bring him home? Any advice?

Chances are they will do just fine. But that's just a prediction. It is
typical for the female to bully the male a bit. Most males will accept
that to a point. In the typical situation when the new dog gets settled
in and starts feeling confident he will object with some smarls and
growls, and perhaps some teeth gnashing over being bullied too much.
Typically it will sound awful and scary but when all is done there will
not be any real damage on either dog. And, again gnerally speaking,
between malea nd female that will pretty much be it.

A lot of it depends on how you handle situations as they come along. FOr
example, I don't allow one dog to steal another's food, or even stand
there drooling waiting for the other to finish. It is normal, but rude.
you will have to keep an eye on things when you give a high value treat
(e.g. freah raw bone) vs when you give lower value treats (dry dog
biscuit). Sometimes dogs that get alone fine most of the time have
trouble when there is something they really want involved.

--
Diane Blackman
http://dog-play.com/