Feeding in crate--good or bad idea?

Old April 26th 04, 03:49 AM
Marie

Default Feeding in crate--good or bad idea?

Macula still seems to consider the crate , at any time other than bedtime,
as evil exile. She will not touch bones, kongs, etc., I think because she's
stressed--barking in a high pitched tone.

I'm thinking about moving her food dish into the crate. In addition to
(hopefully) making the crate more palatable, this may have other pluses:
the location of her dish right now always attracts ants in the summer, and
right now the food dish is a magnet for the rugrats whenever they are on the
floor in this room. The potential downsides are that the crate is closer to
the nursery, and therefore possibly even more accessible: and the crate is
in our bedroom, which is carpeted, and I worry about how much mess might be
made and the possibility of ants and other ickies invaded the bedroom.

Do any of you feed in the crate? Does it work? Will this make things
better for Macula, do you think?

Marie

Old April 26th 04, 03:54 AM
Tee

"Marie" wrote in message
e.rogers.com...
[...]

Does Macula need to be in the crate? I feed in the crate when I have a new
foster dog but that's the only time. If ants & kidlets are a problem, put
the bowl up on top of the crate, or the counter. This won't work well if
you're free-feeding but it'll work to help ween her onto scheduled feedings.
Like feeding her when you fee the kids. They're probably in high chairs so
they can't bother her or the food. I don't have any advice on getting a
reluctant dog to accept the crate after long-term attempts. All the dogs
I've had have taken to crating right away. With the exception of two who
had severe confinement anxiety, all the others not only go in quietly but
they nap in their crates at every opportunity. In this aspect, my breed is
easy.

--
Tara

Old April 26th 04, 06:00 AM
rzwodzwo425

"Marie" wrote in message
e.rogers.com...
Macula still seems to consider the crate , at any time other than bedtime,
as evil exile. She will not touch bones, kongs, etc., I think because

she's
stressed--barking in a high pitched tone.

I'm thinking about moving her food dish into the crate.

In addition to the food, you should also move the water in there. Then you
should put something in there for the urine. Then add something for the dog
to **** in. Then you should cover the crate so the dog can't be seen.
The perfect! Now you have the dog that you don't want in the first place
all in a tiny little corner.

In addition to
(hopefully) making the crate more palatable, this may have other pluses:
the location of her dish right now always attracts ants in the summer, and
right now the food dish is a magnet for the rugrats whenever they are on

the
floor in this room. The potential downsides are that the crate is closer

the nursery, and therefore possibly even more accessible: and the crate

is
in our bedroom, which is carpeted, and I worry about how much mess might

be
made and the possibility of ants and other ickies invaded the bedroom.

Oh my goodness. Never thought about those little creatures that hang around
domestic animals!!
Maybe you ought to get rid of that poor unwanted animal if it's freaking you
out so much!!!

Old April 26th 04, 12:10 PM

In article gers.com,
Marie wrote:
Do any of you feed in the crate?

I crate feed with the doors open. It guarantees that there
will be no issues around food, which can be a problem with
super-defensive Duncan, who worries that other dogs will
take his food away even when they're showing no interest
whatsoever. Also, and I think this is closer to what you
were asking about, Emmett was terrified of being crated when
he was a puppy, and crate feeding solved the problem. If
you try it I'd start with *fabulous* food.

Halliburton did more than $30 million dollars
business with Saddam in the late 1990s

Crate re-training -mi-chael4 Dog breeds 1 March 31st 04 09:41 PM
Water in the Crate Leah Dog behavior 72 December 21st 03 05:08 AM
Water in the Crate Leah Dog behavior 0 December 17th 03 04:02 PM
training knowledge vs training skills vs murdering good dogsbecause of insurance rates mic-hae.l Dog breeds 0 October 16th 03 10:12 PM
ESS Feeding Question Darby Wiggins Dog breeds 6 July 18th 03 03:00 PM