Belgian Sheepdog National (long!)

Old April 26th 04, 04:50 AM
Shelly & The Boys

Default Belgian Sheepdog National (long!)

We are home.
Black Belgians EVERYWHERE, all week. It was about
the most fantastic "vacation" I've ever taken.

All four TD dogs entered in tracking passed, two of them were
friends handling their dogs under 12 mos. of age. Yay!

Tuesday the herding test/trial went well. IIRC, there were 5 sets of
test sheep, 1 of which were fabulous, one decent, 2 pretty tough
and one set that I think only one dog passed on.

Our first run was on one of the decent set, and went very nicely, smooth
with
no problems. It was great. We passed that leg.

The second run under the other judge we had the really tough set of sheep.
It was a set of 5 sheep, one little one that did not want to be in the group
&
kept splitting out for every dog that drew them. We worked hard, but kept
losing them whenever they'd get into the draw spot for the pen, which
just happened to be near the 2nd panel. We managed every part of
the exercise, but couldn't get them through that last panel. sigh We
kept
working at it, and ran out of time. But, we headed back & penned so it
at least seemed successful to Bodhi. They were tough, and we just weren't
quite ready for that type of sheep yet.
I loved the judges comments afterward, she & I were talking about the run
and I know she could see my frustration at getting that crummy set (even
though I
know I tried hard to be very positive about it for Bodhi! :-)). She asked
me,
"I want to ask you one thing, did you learn more on the first set, or the
second?" I just grinned, no need to even answer her question. She
was
a great judge, even though we didn't pass.
There's another trial in about a month, so I need to look up entry closing
so we can get back out & try for that last leg.

Wednesday we had our very first obedience trial. Novice A, you know, and
of course, we were the first team in the ring! grin I was so nervous I
thought I'd puke, but a friend helped convince me to just get in there &
have fun. The heeling needs work, but he held his long sit & down!
Woohoo!
We QUALIFIED!! And...we also took 1st place! (It wasn't a big class, but
I don't care! laugh) The photographers got an awesome shot of Bodhi
leaping up, trying to nab his blue 1st place ribbon out of my hands!
laugh

Unfortunately, we didn't qualify for a second leg the next day, but it was
on
something I *knew* we needed work on: the Front. It was pretty cute, if
don't think of it as failing. He saw his breeder sitting back off a ways
outside of the ring, and instead of coming up & sitting in front of me on
the Recall, he ran up to me, looked me in the eye then ran over to the ring
gate, pranced around a bit for "Grammy Sandy" then came over and did a
cute little Finish in heel position at my side.
Again he held his sits & downs while no one else did. He's such a funny,
funny dog, I can't help but just love him.

The rest of the days, watching the breed rings, were fabulous. I met a lot
of great people, schmoozed with a lot of wonderful dogs, stayed
up too late and just had WAY too much fun. I missed my husband & of course
the big red boy, Coda, but it was nice to just just hang out with dog folks
and Belgians for a week.
Photos forthcoming, but right now I'm just too darn tired.

Bodhi is now a "two-legged" dog. One CD leg down (two more
to go), and one PT (Pre-Trial herding) leg down with one to go. Yay!

Whew. I'm going to bed.
Shelly & The Boys

http://www.geocities.com/shellybrosnan/deerranch.html