Aggression?

Old April 26th 04, 08:35 PM
Cracked_Pumpkinhead

Default Aggression?

I'm a new to this newsgroup. I have been lurking for the last couple
weeks just reading posts and trying to get informed. There is alot of
conflicting advice so I now choose to post my own question.
Aggressive dogs? What is the cause of aggression in dogs? Is there
one single reason that dogs become aggressive or is it a several?
Old April 26th 04, 09:08 PM

On 26 Apr 2004 12:35:16 -0700 Cracked_Pumpkinhead whittled these words:
I'm a new to this newsgroup. I have been lurking for the last couple
weeks just reading posts and trying to get informed. There is alot of
conflicting advice so I now choose to post my own question.
Aggressive dogs? What is the cause of aggression in dogs? Is there
one single reason that dogs become aggressive or is it a several?

There are several. Well actually more than several. There are many
reasons for aggression in dogs. First step is to come to agreement on
what is "aggression." With trainers that ought to take only fifty years
or so.

--
Diane Blackman
http://dog-play.com/

Old April 26th 04, 11:25 PM
Leah

(Cracked_Pumpkinhead) wrote:
I'm a new to this newsgroup. I have been lurking for the last couple
weeks just reading posts and trying to get informed. There is alot of
conflicting advice so I now choose to post my own question.
Aggressive dogs? What is the cause of aggression in dogs? Is there
one single reason that dogs become aggressive or is it a several?

Definitely not a single reason. :}

However, aggression can be generally linked to two categories: dominance
aggression and fear aggression.

I am certainly not an expert on aggression (though I will know more in a couple
of weeks, after I attend a 4-day seminar on it :} But I can say that in my
experience of seeing a lot of *mildly* aggressive dogs (those who act out, but
don't normally bite), there seems to be one common thread. Most of them were
not properly socialized as puppies.

If a pup is not exposed to strange people, strange dogs, and strange
environments while he is in his critical development stage of 10 weeks to 5
months, he may perceive anything strange as a threat as he matures. That's why
you see so many dogs who bare teeth, growl, or lunge at people and other dogs
they don't know. In most cases, this could have been avoided by proper
socialization.

This normally falls into the category of fear aggression. When any sentient
being feels threatened, he has the choice of reacting with fight or flight. If
he chooses fight, it's fear aggression.

The most dominance aggression I've seen is in JRTs. I'm not saying that
they're the most aggressive dogs. I worked in PetsMart for the last 1-1/2
years, and I'm sure it's due to the fact that people are a lot less likely to
bring, say, an aggressive pit bull or fila into the store than they are a
smaller, more controllable dog like a JRT. But the ones I've seen are just
all-out bullies. They can be playing, get sparked by something the other dog
does, and immediately go into Destroy and Conquer mode. I know the least about
this type of aggression, so I'll let others expand on it. :}

Canine Action Dog Trainer
http://www.canineaction.com
My Kids, My Students, My Life:
http://hometown.aol.com/dfrntdrums/m...age/index.html

Old April 26th 04, 11:26 PM
Leah

First step is to come to agreement on
what is "aggression." With trainers that ought to take only fifty years
or so.

LOL. I was going to say, "define aggression" in my first post, and probably
should have. :}

fear aggression? culprit Dog behavior 0 April 8th 04 04:11 AM
Food Aggression Test - Fair or Not ??? Julia Altshuler Dog behavior 8 October 21st 03 10:58 AM
Food Aggression Test - Fair or Not ??? Julia Altshuler Dog behavior 0 October 19th 03 02:14 PM