Dog Digging at Carpet

Old April 27th 04, 12:57 AM
Phyllis

Default Dog Digging at Carpet

I thought I had posted this a couple of days ago but I never saw the post.
Forgive me if it had posted and there were simply no responses.

Any ideas on how to stop my dog from digging at my carpet. He's a lab mix
and weighs 55 lbs. and I'm so afraid one day he will cut through a seam and
go down to the padding. Since he's a puppy, he began doing thi in one room
of my old house (we moved 6 mo. ago) and now he's begun to do it here. At
first I thought maybe it was something about the carpet that bothered him
since his digging was confined to one room. I had different carpet in the
living room and he chose to dig in our formal living room. He didn't start
it up right away after the move, but I noticed in the middle of the night,
he was making raking noises in our living room. He woke me up at 3:00 a.m.
and I woke my husband up wanting him to investigate the strange noise. Then
it dawned on us what it was...

How can I break him of this. He has a doggie door and goes in and out as he
pleases. He's never dug a hole in the backyard... Other than that, he's
not a digger. He doesn't even like to get his feet wet or dirty and he's a
lab! I have another dog, and she doesn't do dig at the carpet. Until I can
replace the carpet with a hardwood floor any suggestions of breaking this
habit?

TIA,
Phyllis