Puppy Growling with new bone.

Old April 27th 04, 04:26 AM
vboy

Default Puppy Growling with new bone.

I gave my 3 month old Golden Retriever a T-Bone today and got a growl when I
went to pat her and tell her what a good dog she was. She is a very mild
animal, I can pat her and hold her mouth while she is eating without any
fuss. But when I gave her the first "real" bone she growled. I said with a
strong "NO!" and took the bone away for a few minutes. The I thought, I
might be doing the wrong thing by taking it away "making it worse".

Please help... I don't want her to growl or even bite when she has a bone.

Thanks

Old April 27th 04, 04:55 AM
Leah

"vboy" wrote:
I gave my 3 month old Golden Retriever a T-Bone today and got a growl when I
went to pat her and tell her what a good dog she was. She is a very mild
animal, I can pat her and hold her mouth while she is eating without any
fuss. But when I gave her the first "real" bone she growled. I said with a
strong "NO!" and took the bone away for a few minutes. The I thought, I
might be doing the wrong thing by taking it away "making it worse".

No, it's right that she should lose the bone as a consequence of growling at
you. But I wouldn't make a habit of putting her in that position. :}

This is how you can teach her to trust you when she has something "valuable."

Every time you see something in her mouth - a toy, a chew, whatever - bring her
a treat she can't resist. Initially hold it right to her nose and say (one
time) "Drop it." When she drops the toy to take the treat, whip it quickly
behind your back, give her the treat and praise her, then immediately give her
the toy back and leave her alone with it.

After she understands the "drop it" command, don't show her the treat before
you ask her to drop something.

This way you'll be teaching her both the command, and that she doesn't have to
protect her resources from you.

Start with objects of lower value than a steak bone, and work up to objects of
higher value.

Important note: Do NOT give her cooked bones, even big ones. All cooked bones
can splinter. Raw bones are ok, especially the sterilized kind you can buy at
pet supply stores.

Canine Action Dog Trainer
http://www.canineaction.com
My Kids, My Students, My Life:
http://hometown.aol.com/dfrntdrums/m...age/index.html

Old April 27th 04, 06:23 AM
vboy

Thanks, 2 more questions.

She already knows the drop command. When I reach for the bone and grab it,
then say "drop" she will let go (I will give you - more reluctantly then the
tennis ball that drops to the floor when I say the command). However, her
attitude changed when she was eating the bone. Very aggressive eating and a
different look on her face and in her eyes. I almost thought she was going
to try to run away from me when I first approached her. I did give her back
the bone after taking it away (3-5 minutes later) and left her in the room.
But, when I left the room, she left the bone and followed me. I went back to
the room where the bone was and assured her it was ok. She then again began
to chew. Should I give it back to her - or just keep taking it away for 1-2
min, if growling continues?

This was a T-bone steak cooked med-rare on the Weber grill (more red near
the bone). Is this still ok?

Thanks again for the reply. I am getting such a better dog because of this
group and people like you.

Old April 27th 04, 12:35 PM
J1Boss

From: "vboy" newhound@verizon

She already knows the drop command. When I reach for the bone and grab it,
then say "drop" she will let go (I will give you - more reluctantly then the
tennis ball that drops to the floor when I say the command). However, her
attitude changed when she was eating the bone. Very aggressive eating and a
different look on her face and in her eyes. I almost thought she was going
to try to run away from me when I first approached her. I did give her back
the bone after taking it away (3-5 minutes later) and left her in the room.
But, when I left the room, she left the bone and followed me. I went back to
the room where the bone was and assured her it was ok. She then again began
to chew. Should I give it back to her - or just keep taking it away for 1-2
min, if growling continues?

Bones are pretty prized possessions. She needs to let you pet her and take it
away of course, but don't bug the heck out of her. When she's chewing a bone,
walk up, pet her and give her a small treat. Touch the bone, pick it up and
look at it and give it back, walk away. It's her's to some extent.

This was a T-bone steak cooked med-rare on the Weber grill (more red near
the bone). Is this still ok?

No - t-bones are really bad choices. They are thin, splinter, etc. If you
give bones they should be raw and femur bones or knuckle bones - think heavy
and solid, not breakable.

Janet Boss
http://bestfriendsdogobedience.com/
http://photos.yahoo.com/bestfriendsobedience