Allergies?

Old October 1st 03, 06:15 AM
JuanG

Default Allergies?

One of my labs is scratching all four paws and forearms. She is also red and
raw around the eyes. The other dog is fine. Wonder if it is allergies, or
maybe poison ivy? (we run in the woods a lot).

Any OTC antihistamines? She started licking the cortisone gel I put on her
feet and that is not good. Any oral?

Old October 1st 03, 04:10 PM
Amy Dahl

JuanG wrote:

One of my labs is scratching all four paws and forearms. She is also red and
raw around the eyes. The other dog is fine. Wonder if it is allergies, or
maybe poison ivy? (we run in the woods a lot).

Any OTC antihistamines? She started licking the cortisone gel I put on her
feet and that is not good. Any oral?

I have given a dog oral Benadryl on my vet's recommendation. It
makes them sleepy. I would check with your vet for the dosage
and definitely pursue finding the cause. Seeing the vet is
definitely a good idea.

I have read that this pattern is typical of food allergies (feet
and face). I have also read that a good home-prepared elimination
diet is a surer bet than commercial ones like duck and potato. If
your vet thinks it is food allergies, do yourself and your dog
a favor and read Donald Strombeck's "Home-Prepared Dog and Cat Diets."

Amy Dahl

Old October 1st 03, 08:06 PM
GAUBSTER2

I have read that this pattern is typical of food allergies (feet
and face). I have also read that a good home-prepared elimination
diet is a surer bet than commercial ones like duck and potato. If
your vet thinks it is food allergies, do yourself and your dog
a favor and read Donald Strombeck's "Home-Prepared Dog and Cat Diets."

....or instead of hasseling w/ all of that, you can ask your vet about Hill's
z/d which is the best thing on the market for actual food
allergies/intolerances.

Old October 3rd 03, 01:11 AM
buglady

"JuanG" wrote in message
One of my labs is scratching all four paws and forearms. She is also red

and
raw around the eyes. The other dog is fine. Wonder if it is allergies, or
maybe poison ivy? (we run in the woods a lot).

.......I don't think dogs get poison ivy. Why don't you put her in the tub
and rinse her off good - could be contact dermatitis - perhaps from running
through herbicide treated grass. Then call your vet for an antihistimine
dosage.

buglady
take out the dog before replying

Rough Skin and Hair Loss on Chocolate Lab LabattB Dog breeds 5 November 24th 03 02:33 AM
Border Collie skin irritation jj Dog health 6 August 30th 03 09:47 PM
Dog with Allergies Supergoof Dog health 3 August 1st 03 05:49 AM
Now the allergies.. CaptRon Dog breeds 8 July 25th 03 09:50 PM
Owner allergies Reg Dog breeds 2 July 7th 03 02:40 AM