How can I help Mannie be less jealous of his new packmate?

Old April 30th 04, 08:30 PM
ferd berfle

Default How can I help Mannie be less jealous of his new packmate?

Hi folks.

Mannie is a 5 yr old 17 lb. neutered male doxie/terrierofsomesort mix.
He's been our only dog since we got him 3 and a half years ago. He's a
real sweetie, lives to play ball, cuddly as anything, and probably
spoiled rotten.

Did some proto-clicker training, but the loud noise bothered him more
than reinforced him. And he's so "Play is better than food" ish that
treats aren't a real big motivator. But he has a good
sit/down/speak/stay capability, and he'll come when called (almost)
all of the time.

Two nights ago, the woman from Dachshund Rescue came by with Pretzel,
and we decided to give him a try as a second dog. 3 year old neutered
male, 25 lbs. rather than the 17 he should be. (He's not going to get
the table scraps -?full servings?- he got before, and he's pretty
active for such a porker)

By and large, things have gone well. Mannie did have 3 episodes of
"bark, nip and chase" at Otto (working on the rename), and all 3 were
due to contention for a perceived-as-scarce resource (a bone left
outside, food bowl, etc.). And we don't let Mannie hog the human
attention, but we don't ignore him either. He is our first, and he
will be the dominant one.

We're learning, and we're trying to be firm w/ Mannie so far as
"Otto's going to stay, we love you both, get used to it, you'll like
having a companion some day".

I wonder if there are any general guidelines or specific
activies/techniques/positive experiences that we could use to help
Mannie be more secure, less jealous, and deal w/ Otto's integration
into our 2human-1(now 2) dog pack.

Ferd

Ferd Berfle

"Usenet is Fun!"