Help with a trick.

Old May 3rd 04, 05:20 AM
vboy

Default Help with a trick.

Trying to get my 3 month old golden to bow (front feet to the ground and
back end up). I started by using the word BOW and she started looking around
the room (last weeks trick was to find the BALL). So I had to pick a
different word, I chose CROUCH.

Starting with the treat in my right hand and, while she is standing, I take
my left hand an put it under her belly. Here is where the trouble starts. If
I use my right hand to drop her front legs, she drops correctly but
instantly gets up, She quickly gets the treat, but she is smelling the treat
the whole time and I don't think she is paying attention. If I swap the
treat hand, I can't get the treat to her quick enough before she stand up.

How is this trick taught?

Thanks

Old May 3rd 04, 06:15 AM

On Mon, 03 May 2004 04:20:15 GMT vboy whittled these words:
Starting with the treat in my right hand and, while she is standing, I take
my left hand an put it under her belly. Here is where the trouble starts. If
I use my right hand to drop her front legs, she drops correctly but
instantly gets up, She quickly gets the treat, but she is smelling the treat
the whole time and I don't think she is paying attention. If I swap the
treat hand, I can't get the treat to her quick enough before she stand up.

How is this trick taught?

This is a really good one to learn how to shape a behavior. Its also one
that tends to be learned faster with shaping than with physical placement.
A fun video for learning this technique (no I have no relationship with
them at all) is "Take a Bow Wow!
See
http://www.clickertrainingvideos.com/

I don't think you will use these techniques for everything, but learning
how to use them is a very valuable tool.

Most training that we do uses "operant conditioning" even if we aren't
aware of it. It helps to become more aware of what that is, and how it
works. This will help you get away from following training recipes "First
do this, then do that". Instead you will learn how to see why a particular
"ingredient" isn't working for you , and fix it.

--
Diane Blackman
http://dog-play.com/

Old May 5th 04, 04:17 AM

On Tue, 04 May 2004 21:52:20 GMT vboy whittled these words:
If you've seen the video - can you give me a hint??

Although it is far easier to learn by watching all the information you
need is available if you start with
http://www.clickersolutions.com/
http://dogplay.com/clicker.html
--