My Jack Russell keeps attacking her brother

Old April 24th 04, 12:11 AM
Dan

Default My Jack Russell keeps attacking her brother

Hello:

After my Jacks had 6 puppies I kept the oldest and the youngest and
they are now 6 months old. I also still have the parents who get along
with the puppies and each other fine. The puppies were getting along
fine with each other less an occasional squabble typically over a toy
or food item. However, last week things became very serious.

My female puppy will attack the male for no apparent reason. The first
time It seemed to start right after they had their dinner. The female
just looked at the male for about 10 sec's after finishing her meal
and then just went all out crazy on him. I figured that I would
separate them for a half hour during feeding time and then let them
see each other after all the food was put away. This however did
nothing to prevent the female from attacking him again.

Yesterday we were in my backyard and for no apparent reason her tail
got arched back and I noticed her growling at him again. I reached to
pick her up and sure enough she was in attack mode. I then attempted
to put her on the side of the house for some cooling off. The male was
on the other side of a fence and she didn't growl at him at all. I
then tried to re establish their friendship slowly but she then
attacked again this time I got my hand bit for trying to separate
them.

These dogs have slept together every night in the same area for 6
months. As far as I know the male has never become aggressive to any
other dog much less her. They have been eating together since they
came out of the womb. Now they cant even be in the same room together
with out an all out fight.

I believe this may have started from a food issue, but this may have
become something even more serious.

Could someone please give me some advice finding the source of her
animosity. She has respect for her mother and father and you can tell
that she respects their dominants. However, when she sees the male pup
her tail gets arched and she attacks.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Thank you,

Dan Hargis