Socializing a rescued Rottie

Old May 7th 04, 01:23 AM

Default Socializing a rescued Rottie

Hi everyone. I'm new to the board and need some behavioural advice for
my rescued Rottie. My bf and I recently adopted a 2 year old
Rottweiler (we think he's a mix, although he looks purebred because
he's tiny, at only 68 lbs). The humane society only gave us
information about his second home and apparently, he was surrendered
because he bit the family's golden lab. His behavioural profile was
the following when we adopted him:

Agressive with men and other dogs but likes women
Unpredictable with people and other dogs in the shelter environment
Not protective of his food
Easily trained with treats

We've since introduced him to my bf's family's 14 y/o toy mix and he's
been fine, except he growls at her when she approaches the vincinity
of his food bowl. We've taught him not to, and it hasn't happened
since.

The other day, when out for a walk, he barked and snapped at a small
child who reached her hand out to him. Luckily, he is walked at heel
on a pretty short leash so there was no incident there. We really want
to begin socializing him so that he is calm when out on walks and
won't pose a risk to anyone, especially small children. He seems to be
okay with adults (we took him to a BBQ and he loved all the
attention), and in all other respects, he is a great dog, very
affectionate and easily handled. He doesn't seem to have any dominance
issues with either my bf or I. We both have experience with large
breeds (I grew up with German Shepherds and he with Rotties), but are
not experienced with shelter dogs. Any hints as to how to approach his
socialization and training would be greatly appreciated. We understand
the responsibility of adopting a Rottweiler and will put in as much
energy as is needed to allow him to be a safe and happy dog to be
around.

Thank you so much.
Old May 7th 04, 02:06 AM

On 6 May 2004 17:23:00 -0700 T whittled these words:

snip

[...]

This isn't something you should be doing on your own in uncontrolled
environments (like the public). Find a trainer who is experienced and
can up the reliability several notches before exposing him to the public.
Sounds like you are on the right track, but no point in taking chances.
Even the most minor incident will be bad for the breed, and risk him
getting "put down", even if it really wasn't his fault.

--
Diane Blackman
http://dog-play.com/

Old May 8th 04, 02:31 AM
Spot

I agree with this post. This is an accident waiting to happen just from
what you have described so far I would not trust this dog one bit. He's
going to take a major amount of training but even then I wouldn't turn my
back on him. I can't believe the shelter even left him go for adoption.

Celeste

"Handsome Jack Morrison" wrote in message
On 6 May 2004 17:23:00 -0700, (T) wrote:

[]
[...]

I think you're deluding yourself.

This dog sounds like a serious accident waiting to happen. His
"socialization" days are in the distant past. It's too late to
socialize this dog. Now you're down to relying on OBEDIENCE TRAINING
and MANAGEMENT, because you have no knowledge of his ancestry.

If you continue to expose this dog to risky situations, and I'm right
about him, you're possibly looking at a real tragedy someday.

You should immediately consult with either a behaviorist or a trainer
who's experienced with Rotties, to assess this dog's true temperament.

If he passes the exam, you then need to have him or her show you how
to OBEDIENCE TRAIN this dog.

In the interim, rely on MANAGEMENT to keep this dog out of trouble.
That is, don't take him around any small children, or anything or
anyone he's ever acted aggressively around (including your friend's
little dog).

The Internet is not the place to get help or advice with a problem
like yours. You need hands-on assistance from an experienced
professional. Should you choose to take the easy or cheap way out,
and try to do this all by yourself, you could end up losing much more
than a few bucks -- your home, for example.

--
Handsome Jack Morrison
*gently remove the detonator to reply via e-mail

Guided by God, or Guided by his Gonads?
http://www.frontpagemag.com/Articles...e.asp?ID=13221

The Anti-Idiotarian Rottweiler Little Green Footballs
http://nicedoggie.net/

http://littlegreenfootballs.com/weblog/
Glenn Reynolds - InstaPundit Steven Den Beste
http://www.instapundit.com/ http://www.denbeste.nu/
The Belmont Club Dhimmi Watch
http://belmontclub.blogspot.com/

http://www.jihadwatch.org/dhimmiwatch/
Don Luskin Rightwing News
http://www.poorandstupid.com/chronicle.asp

http://www.rightwingnews.com/
Allah is in the house! Victor Davis Hanson-Private

Papers
http://www.allahpundit.com/

http://victorhanson.com/index.html