Camping/Hiking with Dogs in Southern California

Old May 7th 04, 06:15 PM
No Such Luck

Default Camping/Hiking with Dogs in Southern California

I appologize in advance if this has been asked before. I have
conducted a pretty thorough search, and while there is much
information about how to camp/hike with dogs, there does not seem to
be much on which camp sites/trails actually allow dogs.

Does anyone have a list of campgrounds with hiking trails in Southern
California that allow dogs (both on the camp site and on any trails),
or any positive experiences camping/hiking with dogs in So. Cal.?

Thanks in advance.
Old May 7th 04, 07:39 PM
Chris

There are several books available, including:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS...D1KQJBNTALRLQH
Without one, I can't remember the system of national parks, forests,
etc. Some allow dogs; some don't. State parks don't. You can also get
info from AAA with _some of that on their maps.
Have you considered joining the Sierra Club's k9 interest group? They
seem centered on the west side, and most of their camping and hikes are
in the Angeles National Forest .... which is a piece for us.
To get you started, one of our favorite places, particularly in
winter, is Frazier Park. Just the right amount of snow. And, at
off-seasons, we've had the whole place to ourselves .... (Don't tell too
many people about it

http://community.webtv.net/k9apple/Macintosh

Old May 7th 04, 07:50 PM

Chris wrote:
Without one, I can't remember the system of national parks, forests,
etc. Some allow dogs; some don't. State parks don't. You can also get
info from AAA with _some of that on their maps.

National forests are a terrific resource - there are no
restrictions on dogs, there are liberal wilderness camping
policies, and they're typically *much* less crowded than
parks. They're also less developed, which might make them
less appealing to some people. I'm less familiar with
southern California but I used to spend a lot of time in the
national forests in northern California, and forest service
ahs terrific maps for sale showing campground locations,
etc.

http://www.fs.fed.us/recreation/map/...tml#California

The Bush administration has created 1,615,000 fewer jobs
than promised in their "jobs and growth" package

Old May 7th 04, 09:24 PM
tony

Hi,
Your best bet would be to ask a local Ranger, or a Ranger in the area you
plan on camping/hiking at.
Is it smart to bring your dog out there? No. Not for the dog nor the
wildlife out there. Dogs scent and pee will "throw caution into the wind"
for local wildlife. Second, If hungry or "sick" or threatened, a Mtn Lion
could attack your dog.
Cheers.

om...