Strange behavior in a border collie

Old May 10th 04, 06:24 PM
Womble

Default Strange behavior in a border collie

I own a border collie about four years old. I've had him for two
years. He is neutered. He is a dog that was rescued from an abusive
farmer, being chained outside permanently. He was also beaten. When I
got him he was so frightened of everything and hid in the smallest of
spaces. He is blind in one eye and has tunnel vision in the other. The
vet called it ‘collie eye'.

When either me or my girlfriend go to the kitchen to prepare his food
he starts growling. He then stands and stares at his food, growling
constantly until I tell him sternly to eat it. He also growls if food,
ours, is in the room.

When I go to work, leaving my girlfriend at home, the dog starts
growling. He growls and barks until I come home. He also growls
non-stop in the evening and into the night.

When the doorbell rings he goes mental, barking, yelping and running
up and down. No amount of talking to him or restraint stops him.

Whenever we have visitors the dog waits behind the dog and launches
himself at them. He will give them a nasty bite unless I am holding
him. When I say launches I mean all four feet off the floor, I need to
hold very tight. As soon as the visitor has sat down he sits at their
feet and stares at them. When they leave he does nothing. He also
attacks them if they re-enter the room after visiting the bathroom. He
bites men, women and children. He seems to not like loud, hectoring
types of voices especially. When he bites, me included, he bites once
on the thigh and then goes and lies down. The bites feel like a ‘dead
leg' and leave a big bruise. Usually he doesn't break the skin, but
sometimes he does.

This behaviour is only in our home. Outside or camping,or visiting
other people he is fine, playful and loving. He gets on well with
other dogs, though he is slightly nervous of dogs that are much larger
than him.

He has bitten a friend's child today and I am desperate for help. I
don't want to get rid of him, but I don't want him to savage anyone.
Please help. All my friends are terrified of him.
Old May 10th 04, 06:38 PM
Child

"Womble" wrote in message
om...
He has bitten a friend's child today and I am desperate for help. I
don't want to get rid of him, but I don't want him to savage anyone.
Please help. All my friends are terrified of him.

I would be terrified of him, but I am glad he lives somewhere where he is so
loved.

First, it soundsl like you haven't been doing your job to protect your
guests. You need to MANAGE the biting behavior, especially when you have
guests. This dog should NEVER, EVER be unleashed, loose around guests. He
can be crated, or he can be on a leash, so that you can control his
behavior.

This dog needs some professional help. Quickly. Where do you live?

Old May 10th 04, 09:59 PM
Julia Altshuler

Womble wrote:

He has bitten a friend's child today and I am desperate for help. I
don't want to get rid of him, but I don't want him to savage anyone.
Please help. All my friends are terrified of him.

This one needs in-person help from an expert in cases like these. None
of us can diagnose or treat over the 'net. Ask your veterinarian for a
recommendation for someone qualified to help. Or call your local animal
shelter. They might know of someone. In the mean time, keep your dog
away from all people who might enter your house, especially children.

--Lia