Pulling Dane puppy [was: Oh Well]

Old May 13th 04, 10:54 AM
White Monkey

Default Pulling Dane puppy [was: Oh Well]

"Question:
I have a 4 month old Great Dane female puppy
who has the habit of biting and catching the lead
in her mouth to shake it in a playful manner when
we walk. I am planning to show her in conformation
and need to break this habit. I rubbed Bitter Apple
on the lead but to no avail. I am using Tabasco pepper
sauce now but it is only partially effective. I try telling
her "leave it" and pulling it downward. Any help you
can give me would be appreciated. "

I know this is an old post fragment and all, but since I have been working
with my 3-month-old Dane on exactly this thing, I thought I'd jump in in
case it is a current issue for anyone else.

Danes are mouthy. Puppies are mouthy. The more excited and happy they get,
the more likely they are to forget themselves (if trained not to do this) or
just do it more (if not trained). Saskia was incorrigible, grabbing the lead
and reacting to admonitions not to like it was a game, shaking it, pulling
back on it, etc. One thing that helped teach her she wasn't supposed to do
that was to stop and have her sit, then tell her to leave it, and when she
did, we could go on with her nice walk. She also grabbed our clothes and
pulled, while walking. Also ran up behind us and nipped us sharply as an
invitation to play. All of this is very typical Dane behavior when very
young.

After the first few days it was clear that she knew she wasn't supposed to
do these things (she would "leave it" when asked but grab again almost
immediately, and "don't bite" would give a brief respite from the clothes
grabbing, but only brief. We would also catch her stopping herself from
doing these things once she'd started to make a move, and we would praise
her). So I got a nice rubber pull toy and now she grabs that instead
(because I make sure it's the first thing her mouth hits) and gets praise.
This keeps her up by me, instead of off on the end of the line pulling back,
it keeps my clothing hole-free, and it satisfies her excited-puppy need to
interact with me in this particular playful manner. Over a few days now, the
entire behavior has eased off considerably--she grabbing only about 20% of
the time she used to, including at the toy, and instead likes to trot along
with her chin resting gently in my hand sometimes, gazing up at me and
smiling, which I think is just awfully cute and definitely keeps her right
by me and her attention on me.

--Katrina

---

Old May 13th 04, 10:54 AM
White Monkey

[...]

Cockapoos and puppy millers Scall0way Dog breeds 23 April 25th 04 04:37 PM
New Dane puppy White Monkey Dog breeds 2 April 21st 04 09:23 AM
Great Dane puppy licks windows Justin Miles Dog behavior 6 January 13th 04 07:39 PM
Great Dane puppy licks windows Justin Miles Dog behavior 0 January 13th 04 06:38 PM
Puppy growth and behavior (aka Am I doing something wrong??) Aaron Dog behavior 2 July 28th 03 09:33 PM