red swollen tick bite

Old October 8th 03, 05:43 PM
Ebbtide

Default red swollen tick bite

My dog had something similar only in the ear. It wouldn't go away and I did
take him to the Vet, who recommended BACTRODERM, a topical antibiotic,
applied twice a day. Put it on sparingly. He said if it didn't go away in a
week to return him, but it took care of itself. He did not give him anything
orally. The topical ointment was purchased at the Vets.

Keep the area clean and apply the ointment, if you don't have it, Polysporin
(OTC) or triple antibiotic (OTC) ointment will do. (That's what the Doc told
me) Watch him for infection, pain, heat at the site, swelling, redness,
possible fever, lethargy. Then of course you need to take him to the Vet.

The bite was in a sensitive area, so you would expect more swelling there.

Joyce

"Lacustral" wrote in message
link.com...
my dog had a tick, taken out with head i think, just over his jaw & under
his eye. The area is all red and swollen. Is it important to take him to
the vet right away, or ok to wait & see if he seems sick? He's as
energetic as usual. The area was swollen before i took the tick out.
He's been vaccinated for Lyme and DHLPP and rabies. Lyme is rare here.
I have some metronidazole around, would it be a good idea to give it to
him for a few days?

thanks
laura

Old October 8th 03, 09:34 PM
buglady

"windswept" wrote in message
If you missed the head, which is easy to do or if it was more than one
tick - which is hard to tell in the swelling - you are going to have
infection. Even if you got it all - there has to be infection or the
sweling would have gone down.

.................Not necessarily. Tick bites often become inflamed, even
when there's no head there. Topical care - like applying hydrogen peroxide
once, (not daily as it can keep tissues inflamed) and keeping it clean is
usually all you need. Feeding dogs antibiotics at every turn just fosters
resistance in bacteria and it's not usually necessary. It really depends on
how long the tick was feeding at to how big a hole it leaves. Most of the
time, the hair does not grow back in a small area. I've never had one get
infected, they just look yucky for a few days. And last year was the tick
year to end all tick years.

......Note to OP, if your dog is old or prone to infections or in ill health,
you might want to visit the vet, otherwise, clean it up and leave it alone.
It should heal day by day.

buglady
take out the dog before replying

Old October 9th 03, 01:08 AM
Carey Gregory

"buglady" wrote:

................Not necessarily. Tick bites often become inflamed, even
when there's no head there. Topical care - like applying hydrogen peroxide
once, (not daily as it can keep tissues inflamed) and keeping it clean is
usually all you need. Feeding dogs antibiotics at every turn just fosters
resistance in bacteria and it's not usually necessary. It really depends on
how long the tick was feeding at to how big a hole it leaves. Most of the
time, the hair does not grow back in a small area. I've never had one get
infected, they just look yucky for a few days. And last year was the tick
year to end all tick years.

.....Note to OP, if your dog is old or prone to infections or in ill health,
you might want to visit the vet, otherwise, clean it up and leave it alone.
It should heal day by day.

Yep, ditto to that. They often look inflamed for a while but will almost
always heal uneventfully with little or no attention.

Old October 9th 03, 05:36 PM
Carey Gregory

windswept wrote:

have I happened upon posting in a place that has an averstion to doing the
vet thing?

alt.med.veterinary? Hardly. You've happened upon a place with a realistic
sense of what needs treatment and what doesn't.

I wouldn't go to a doctor for the same thing on myself. I live in an area
full of ticks, and my dogs and I spend a lot of time outdoors. I see these
things all the time. It's just the body's normal defensive reaction and
there's nothing to be done about it unless it starts showing signs of
infection.

Blue Tick Hound Joe Dog breeds 3 June 29th 05 12:24 AM
a BITE augustino patti Dog health 8 August 30th 03 05:13 PM
Tick? Michael K McCleary Dog health 1 July 9th 03 03:45 PM
Whippet with mystery illness spinkydink Dog health 5 July 9th 03 06:01 AM
Found a tick! Need help! Brian Henderson Dog health 2 July 9th 03 02:14 AM