dog barking (sort of) problem

Old May 17th 04, 06:24 AM
Cambie

Default dog barking (sort of) problem

I've got a Yorkie that likes to bark, at EVERYTHING. That is annoying
enough as it is, and I'm working on that with other methods. But one
thing that is really getting to me is something he does when we go
outside. When he sees other people, he goes crazy barking. I usually
just pick him up and pet him and do my best to say "hush" and calm him
down. However, when there's another dog out, he go crazy again, only
instead of barking, he makes this absolutely awful noise that is a
combination of a bark and perhaps whining. It sounds like he's in pain
almost. The other dog owner's look at me like I did something to him or
something. He's a generally very good dog, very friendly. He's been
around other dogs somewhat frequently, but perhaps not enough to pick up
great social skills. I suspect he is making this noise because he wants
free from his leash so he can run and play with the other dog. But the
noises he's making scare the other dog and owner away. Is there anything
I can do to reverse this behavior?
Old May 17th 04, 07:31 AM
David Cohen

"Cambie" wrote
I've got a Yorkie that likes to bark, at EVERYTHING.

What did you expect from a little terrier? Quiet contemplation?

That is annoying
enough as it is,

No, it's not. It's called being a dog.

and I'm working on that with other methods. But one
thing that is really getting to me is something he does when we go
outside. When he sees other people, he goes crazy barking. I usually
just pick him up and pet him and do my best to say "hush" and calm

him
down.

You're reinforcing the behavior.

However, when there's another dog out, he go crazy again, only
instead of barking, he makes this absolutely awful noise that is a
combination of a bark and perhaps whining. It sounds like he's in

pain
almost.

Sounds like he wants to go and play. Big part of a dog's job
description...play.

The other dog owner's look at me like I did something to him or
something.

Most dog owners are morons. Why do you care what they think of you?

He's a generally very good dog, very friendly.

Sounds like he still is.

He's been
around other dogs somewhat frequently, but perhaps not enough to

pick up
great social skills. I suspect he is making this noise because he

wants
free from his leash so he can run and play with the other dog.

Very good. You're getting it.

But the
noises he's making scare the other dog and owner away.

We've already dismissed the moron owner's beliefs. I assure you the
other dog is far more fluent in Doggish, and is not scared of your
friendly Yorkie, but may well be reacting to it's owner's reactions.

Is there anything
I can do to reverse this behavior?

Don't try. Find dogs whose owners aren't morons, and let the little
guy play. Well socialized big dogs are often little dogs' best play
mates, so don't dismiss them just because of size.

Good luck in your search. Expect frustration.

David
www.geocities.com/sammiesdad/dogs2.html

Old May 18th 04, 12:47 AM
The Anti Kathy

snip entire snooty reply

So, Mr. Cohen. Your reply was useful HOW? Oh. It wasn't. OK.
Old May 18th 04, 12:47 AM
The Anti Kathy

Old May 18th 04, 12:47 AM
The Anti Kathy

Old May 18th 04, 01:02 AM
Spot

I would try more socialization. I know you say that people look at you
weird like you are hurting him but if you explain it to them they will most
likely understand. Try an obedience class, walks were he is exposed to more
dogs or even a dog park if you have one available.

Celeste

Dog Barking Problem A.L Dog behavior 0 January 19th 04 08:26 AM
Dog Barking Problem A.L Dog behavior 0 January 19th 04 08:26 AM
Dog Barking Problem A.L Dog behavior 0 January 19th 04 08:26 AM
unique barking problem Aric Dog behavior 0 December 21st 03 09:42 PM
unique barking problem Aric Dog behavior 0 December 21st 03 09:42 PM