jack russel at 5 weeks...help

Old May 17th 04, 09:16 AM
Jim noname

Default jack russel at 5 weeks...help

hello. We just bought a jack russel terrier at about 5 weeks old. The
breeder said it would be fine but just needed some extra attention. it has
been weened from its mother for 2 days.

We have to hold it 99% of the time or it will cry. After reading online it
looks this was way to early to get this dog. Should I consider returning it
for a few weeks to be with its siblings?

I can give it the extra attention but im just worried about the long term
effects on this dog. My fiancee has a 4 year old beagle that will be moving
in with us in a few months and I hope they get along.

I really dont want to retun this dog but I want whats right for it. What
should I do in this situation?

thanks

Old May 17th 04, 11:36 AM
Diana

"Jim noname" wrote in message
news:[email protected]_s54...
hello. We just bought a jack russel terrier at about 5 weeks old. The
breeder said it would be fine but just needed some extra attention. it has
been weened from its mother for 2 days.

We have to hold it 99% of the time or it will cry. After reading online

it
looks this was way to early to get this dog. Should I consider returning

it
for a few weeks to be with its siblings?

Well, if they're that willing to give him to you at 5 weeks old, I wouldn't
trust him with them for another two weeks. 5 weeks is *definitely* too young
to have left his mum to go to a new home.

I'd get him straight to your vet who hopefully can help you work out a
strategy to make the best of this situation and *maybe* (with lack of
practical experience here, I don't know if this would be possible or if the
bitch might try to hurt a strange pup, but in my minds eye I would imagine
it to be a good idea) even find a foster mum (bitch) with a litter of a
similar age and a more responsible owner (that is, to clarify - the bitch's
owner being more responsible than the owner of the bitch who sold you the
pup - no slight at you personally ) who can take him for the next two
weeks and teach him the bare essentials of how to be a dog, mix with other
dogs and get the basic social skills he'll need for the rest of his life.

Saying this, I have not and will never be a breeder, so I am not familiar
with pups so young. (Cindy was 5 weeks when we were first allowed to go and
visit her - we collected her 2 weeks later at 7 weeks) - but I think some
'one to one' with someone with more experience can do you no harm at all.
You'll want him on a worming programme anyway so I'd get the appointment
made at the vets today.

Diana

Old May 17th 04, 11:36 AM
Diana

news:[email protected]_s54...

Old May 17th 04, 11:36 AM
Diana

news:[email protected]_s54...

Old May 17th 04, 12:42 PM
Hi Im WEEniE with MyFav4ite Midi

Yes 5 weeks is kind of young but what are u going to do except feed it
properly, take it to the vets & give it alot of love & attention.My
friend a few years ago recieved a 4 week old pitbull puppy.You think
yours was young? The owner of the mother dog said they were old enough
to go. My friend had to bottle feed that pup. She's alive & healthy & in
good spirits right now. They also have cats. That dog won't hurt a flea.
So what's bothering you about your puppy? Is it that it wants to be
held? You think it's going to last forever? It won't. As far as the 4
year old beagle & your puppy goes. I'd wait before I put them together
because your puppy is so small. Let me try to exp;ain this another way.
I have 5 cats & 3 dogs. One dog is a big lab. There's no way she'll let
me bring in another dog in my apartment but a cat's ok but to her a
kitten under 2.6 months or 3 months old she's afraid of & even growls at
it because she is afraid. It has to be the same with 2 dogs. Because of
your puppy being so young Your fiance beagle might concider it an enemy.
So be very carefull. I wouldn't give it back to the people who gave it
to you. I'm pretty sure the mother of your puppy milk is all dried out.
Beside there's no guarantee that you'll get it back. Just give it what
it needs.Pretty soon your puppy is going to get in so much mischief &
make you laugh & yes make you mad but isn't that what having a puppy or
kitten all about. They do crazy things & get into al kinds of stuff?
Enjoy your dog even though he or she is small Have you thought of a name
for it yet?