A dog & canine forum. DogBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » DogBanter forum » Dog forums » Dog behavior
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Citronella bark collar



 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old May 18th 04, 12:53 AM
Ram Firestone
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default Citronella bark collar

Anyone know of another brand of citronella bark collar besides
Premier? They work great but they don't seem to last very long.

Ram
  #2  
Old May 20th 04, 07:07 PM
shelly
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default

on 2004-05-20 at 10:55 wrote:

Actually you are wrong. It sprays them with a puff of
citronella extract. It smells like oranges and for some
reason some dogs don't like the smell.


something to keep in mind is that a fair and effective
correction should be timely and of a short duration. the
scent of citronella lingers *long* after the dog has stopped
barking. something else to consider is that a correction on
its own is not usually as effective as when it is coupled with
a reward for appropriate behavior.

When I'm not home my dog barks at birds, squirrels and
whatever else happens into the yard.


why is your dog outside when you aren't home?

This is despite the fact that he has my other dog to play
with. The neighbors typically complain,


i bet! a constantly barking dog is not only annoying, but
people tend to feel sorry for it and want to do whatever it
takes to alleviate the dog's suffering and/or boredom.

so I have two choices stop him from barking or get rid of
him.


you have a third option: keep the dog indoors when you are
not home to supervise him.

dogs left outside without their owners, even if they have
another dog for company, usually get bored. bored dogs find
ways to entertain themselves. barking is entertaining. now
that you've taken away your dog's chief form of entertainment,
hopefully he won't replace it with some other activity, like
digging out or licking himself raw. good luck with that!

Since I want to keep my dog (who I have had for 9 years now).
I can A) have him debarked. B) use a shock collar or C) use a
citronella collar. Since he doesn't bark with the citronella
collar on that's the one I use. Simple as that.


that's certainly your right, but you *do* have more options
than that.

Training one not to bark at small animals might me next to
impossible.


i expect you are correct, at least with regard to your own
dog. some breeds are more likely to indulge in recreational
barking than others. i don't know if Afghans fall in that
category or not, but your individual dog apparently does. i
expect he might not be as apt to bark if he weren't stuck
outside, though.

--
shelly (perfectly foul wench) and elliott and harriet
http://home.bluemarble.net/~scouvrette
  #3  
Old May 20th 04, 07:07 PM
shelly
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default

on 2004-05-20 at 10:55 wrote:

Actually you are wrong. It sprays them with a puff of
citronella extract. It smells like oranges and for some
reason some dogs don't like the smell.


something to keep in mind is that a fair and effective
correction should be timely and of a short duration. the
scent of citronella lingers *long* after the dog has stopped
barking. something else to consider is that a correction on
its own is not usually as effective as when it is coupled with
a reward for appropriate behavior.

When I'm not home my dog barks at birds, squirrels and
whatever else happens into the yard.


why is your dog outside when you aren't home?

This is despite the fact that he has my other dog to play
with. The neighbors typically complain,


i bet! a constantly barking dog is not only annoying, but
people tend to feel sorry for it and want to do whatever it
takes to alleviate the dog's suffering and/or boredom.

so I have two choices stop him from barking or get rid of
him.


you have a third option: keep the dog indoors when you are
not home to supervise him.

dogs left outside without their owners, even if they have
another dog for company, usually get bored. bored dogs find
ways to entertain themselves. barking is entertaining. now
that you've taken away your dog's chief form of entertainment,
hopefully he won't replace it with some other activity, like
digging out or licking himself raw. good luck with that!

Since I want to keep my dog (who I have had for 9 years now).
I can A) have him debarked. B) use a shock collar or C) use a
citronella collar. Since he doesn't bark with the citronella
collar on that's the one I use. Simple as that.


that's certainly your right, but you *do* have more options
than that.

Training one not to bark at small animals might me next to
impossible.


i expect you are correct, at least with regard to your own
dog. some breeds are more likely to indulge in recreational
barking than others. i don't know if Afghans fall in that
category or not, but your individual dog apparently does. i
expect he might not be as apt to bark if he weren't stuck
outside, though.

--
shelly (perfectly foul wench) and elliott and harriet
http://home.bluemarble.net/~scouvrette
  #4  
Old May 20th 04, 07:07 PM
shelly
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default

on 2004-05-20 at 10:55 wrote:

Actually you are wrong. It sprays them with a puff of
citronella extract. It smells like oranges and for some
reason some dogs don't like the smell.


something to keep in mind is that a fair and effective
correction should be timely and of a short duration. the
scent of citronella lingers *long* after the dog has stopped
barking. something else to consider is that a correction on
its own is not usually as effective as when it is coupled with
a reward for appropriate behavior.

When I'm not home my dog barks at birds, squirrels and
whatever else happens into the yard.


why is your dog outside when you aren't home?

This is despite the fact that he has my other dog to play
with. The neighbors typically complain,


i bet! a constantly barking dog is not only annoying, but
people tend to feel sorry for it and want to do whatever it
takes to alleviate the dog's suffering and/or boredom.

so I have two choices stop him from barking or get rid of
him.


you have a third option: keep the dog indoors when you are
not home to supervise him.

dogs left outside without their owners, even if they have
another dog for company, usually get bored. bored dogs find
ways to entertain themselves. barking is entertaining. now
that you've taken away your dog's chief form of entertainment,
hopefully he won't replace it with some other activity, like
digging out or licking himself raw. good luck with that!

Since I want to keep my dog (who I have had for 9 years now).
I can A) have him debarked. B) use a shock collar or C) use a
citronella collar. Since he doesn't bark with the citronella
collar on that's the one I use. Simple as that.


that's certainly your right, but you *do* have more options
than that.

Training one not to bark at small animals might me next to
impossible.


i expect you are correct, at least with regard to your own
dog. some breeds are more likely to indulge in recreational
barking than others. i don't know if Afghans fall in that
category or not, but your individual dog apparently does. i
expect he might not be as apt to bark if he weren't stuck
outside, though.

--
shelly (perfectly foul wench) and elliott and harriet
http://home.bluemarble.net/~scouvrette
  #5  
Old May 20th 04, 09:13 PM
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default

In rec.pets.dogs.behavior Ram Firestone wrote:
When I'm not home my dog barks at birds, squirrels and whatever else
happens into the yard. This is despite the fact that he has my other
dog to play with. The neighbors typically complain, so I have two
choices stop him from barking or get rid of him.


Third choice is very effective - keep him inside when you aren't home.
That was my choice with my sighthound mix.

Fourth choice a kennel run set back from the fence line with a solid roof
and screened from adjoining yards.

If it really comes down to spraying your dog with obnoxious scent or
getting rid of him of course I'd rather you did the former. But it is
more stressful for the dog than the two solutions outlined above.

--
Diane Blackman
http://dog-play.com/
http://dog-play.com/shop2.html
  #6  
Old May 20th 04, 09:13 PM
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default

In rec.pets.dogs.behavior Ram Firestone wrote:
When I'm not home my dog barks at birds, squirrels and whatever else
happens into the yard. This is despite the fact that he has my other
dog to play with. The neighbors typically complain, so I have two
choices stop him from barking or get rid of him.


Third choice is very effective - keep him inside when you aren't home.
That was my choice with my sighthound mix.

Fourth choice a kennel run set back from the fence line with a solid roof
and screened from adjoining yards.

If it really comes down to spraying your dog with obnoxious scent or
getting rid of him of course I'd rather you did the former. But it is
more stressful for the dog than the two solutions outlined above.

--
Diane Blackman
http://dog-play.com/
http://dog-play.com/shop2.html
  #7  
Old May 20th 04, 09:13 PM
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default

In rec.pets.dogs.behavior Ram Firestone wrote:
When I'm not home my dog barks at birds, squirrels and whatever else
happens into the yard. This is despite the fact that he has my other
dog to play with. The neighbors typically complain, so I have two
choices stop him from barking or get rid of him.


Third choice is very effective - keep him inside when you aren't home.
That was my choice with my sighthound mix.

Fourth choice a kennel run set back from the fence line with a solid roof
and screened from adjoining yards.

If it really comes down to spraying your dog with obnoxious scent or
getting rid of him of course I'd rather you did the former. But it is
more stressful for the dog than the two solutions outlined above.

--
Diane Blackman
http://dog-play.com/
http://dog-play.com/shop2.html
  #8  
Old May 21st 04, 02:14 AM
Ram Firestone
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default

shelly wrote in message marble.net...
on 2004-05-20 at 10:55 wrote:

Actually you are wrong. It sprays them with a puff of
citronella extract. It smells like oranges and for some
reason some dogs don't like the smell.


something to keep in mind is that a fair and effective
correction should be timely and of a short duration. the
scent of citronella lingers *long* after the dog has stopped
barking.


In theory you are describing a shock collar. However I have known
people who use them. The dog will bark a bunch of times. At some
point the probes finally makes contact because the dog has his head in
the right position and he yelps and stops barking. A few minutes later
the dog forgets and starts barking again and the process starts over.
It might work better if the collar was tighter but depending on the
dog it may have to be super tight to guarantee it works each time.

With the citronella collar it always works because there are no probes
to make contact. Also the dog remembers not to bark because he smells
the citronella. Even so I've heard they are not effective on all dogs.
But with my dog he simply doesn't bark at all with the collar on. I
don't even have to refill it because he just doesn't bark. Also the
collar doesn't have to be tight.

something else to consider is that a correction on
its own is not usually as effective as when it is coupled with
a reward for appropriate behavior.

When I'm not home my dog barks at birds, squirrels and
whatever else happens into the yard.


why is your dog outside when you aren't home?


You actually expect my dog would be happier sitting inside my house
for nine hours unable to take a leak or do anything else. I'm sure he
would rather be outside. At least he can run around, smell the fresh
air and rough house with my other dog.


dogs left outside without their owners, even if they have
another dog for company, usually get bored. bored dogs find
ways to entertain themselves.


And how is sitting inside entertaining?

barking is entertaining. now
that you've taken away your dog's chief form of entertainment,
hopefully he won't replace it with some other activity, like
digging out or licking himself raw. good luck with that!


Well he doesn't have those problems. He just barks. I've used the
collar for a long time without any side effects. He replaces his bark
with a low growling sound which doesn't disturb the neighbors.


Since I want to keep my dog (who I have had for 9 years now).
I can A) have him debarked. B) use a shock collar or C) use a
citronella collar. Since he doesn't bark with the citronella
collar on that's the one I use. Simple as that.


that's certainly your right, but you *do* have more options
than that.


To me, your option is much worse than the Citronella collar. The
only problem with the collar is it's durabillity.


i expect you are correct, at least with regard to your own
dog. some breeds are more likely to indulge in recreational
barking than others. i don't know if Afghans fall in that
category or not, but your individual dog apparently does. i
expect he might not be as apt to bark if he weren't stuck
outside, though.


I find the only hard and fast rule about dogs is that there are no
hard a fast rules. Some dogs don't respond to rewards well. They are
independent and/or easily distracted. I tried to train my dog to heal,
sit etc. with extremely limited success. I had treats, a choke collar
(he would just choke himself to death) and read books. I started to
think he was just stupid. However because the citronella bark collar
worked so well I got a citronella training collar. In about five
minutes he would heal come, sit, stay and I only had to hit the button
a couple of times. Now he just follows orders if he sees the box in my
hand. As it turned out it wasn't that he was stupid. He was just
willful. You may think it's cruel but I don't think it's any worse
than a CHOKE or PINCH collar which you see on dogs all over the place.

Ram
  #9  
Old May 21st 04, 02:14 AM
Ram Firestone
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default

shelly wrote in message marble.net...
on 2004-05-20 at 10:55 wrote:

Actually you are wrong. It sprays them with a puff of
citronella extract. It smells like oranges and for some
reason some dogs don't like the smell.


something to keep in mind is that a fair and effective
correction should be timely and of a short duration. the
scent of citronella lingers *long* after the dog has stopped
barking.


In theory you are describing a shock collar. However I have known
people who use them. The dog will bark a bunch of times. At some
point the probes finally makes contact because the dog has his head in
the right position and he yelps and stops barking. A few minutes later
the dog forgets and starts barking again and the process starts over.
It might work better if the collar was tighter but depending on the
dog it may have to be super tight to guarantee it works each time.

With the citronella collar it always works because there are no probes
to make contact. Also the dog remembers not to bark because he smells
the citronella. Even so I've heard they are not effective on all dogs.
But with my dog he simply doesn't bark at all with the collar on. I
don't even have to refill it because he just doesn't bark. Also the
collar doesn't have to be tight.

something else to consider is that a correction on
its own is not usually as effective as when it is coupled with
a reward for appropriate behavior.

When I'm not home my dog barks at birds, squirrels and
whatever else happens into the yard.


why is your dog outside when you aren't home?


You actually expect my dog would be happier sitting inside my house
for nine hours unable to take a leak or do anything else. I'm sure he
would rather be outside. At least he can run around, smell the fresh
air and rough house with my other dog.


dogs left outside without their owners, even if they have
another dog for company, usually get bored. bored dogs find
ways to entertain themselves.


And how is sitting inside entertaining?

barking is entertaining. now
that you've taken away your dog's chief form of entertainment,
hopefully he won't replace it with some other activity, like
digging out or licking himself raw. good luck with that!


Well he doesn't have those problems. He just barks. I've used the
collar for a long time without any side effects. He replaces his bark
with a low growling sound which doesn't disturb the neighbors.


Since I want to keep my dog (who I have had for 9 years now).
I can A) have him debarked. B) use a shock collar or C) use a
citronella collar. Since he doesn't bark with the citronella
collar on that's the one I use. Simple as that.


that's certainly your right, but you *do* have more options
than that.


To me, your option is much worse than the Citronella collar. The
only problem with the collar is it's durabillity.


i expect you are correct, at least with regard to your own
dog. some breeds are more likely to indulge in recreational
barking than others. i don't know if Afghans fall in that
category or not, but your individual dog apparently does. i
expect he might not be as apt to bark if he weren't stuck
outside, though.


I find the only hard and fast rule about dogs is that there are no
hard a fast rules. Some dogs don't respond to rewards well. They are
independent and/or easily distracted. I tried to train my dog to heal,
sit etc. with extremely limited success. I had treats, a choke collar
(he would just choke himself to death) and read books. I started to
think he was just stupid. However because the citronella bark collar
worked so well I got a citronella training collar. In about five
minutes he would heal come, sit, stay and I only had to hit the button
a couple of times. Now he just follows orders if he sees the box in my
hand. As it turned out it wasn't that he was stupid. He was just
willful. You may think it's cruel but I don't think it's any worse
than a CHOKE or PINCH collar which you see on dogs all over the place.

Ram
  #10  
Old May 21st 04, 02:14 AM
Ram Firestone
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default

shelly wrote in message marble.net...
on 2004-05-20 at 10:55 wrote:

Actually you are wrong. It sprays them with a puff of
citronella extract. It smells like oranges and for some
reason some dogs don't like the smell.


something to keep in mind is that a fair and effective
correction should be timely and of a short duration. the
scent of citronella lingers *long* after the dog has stopped
barking.


In theory you are describing a shock collar. However I have known
people who use them. The dog will bark a bunch of times. At some
point the probes finally makes contact because the dog has his head in
the right position and he yelps and stops barking. A few minutes later
the dog forgets and starts barking again and the process starts over.
It might work better if the collar was tighter but depending on the
dog it may have to be super tight to guarantee it works each time.

With the citronella collar it always works because there are no probes
to make contact. Also the dog remembers not to bark because he smells
the citronella. Even so I've heard they are not effective on all dogs.
But with my dog he simply doesn't bark at all with the collar on. I
don't even have to refill it because he just doesn't bark. Also the
collar doesn't have to be tight.

something else to consider is that a correction on
its own is not usually as effective as when it is coupled with
a reward for appropriate behavior.

When I'm not home my dog barks at birds, squirrels and
whatever else happens into the yard.


why is your dog outside when you aren't home?


You actually expect my dog would be happier sitting inside my house
for nine hours unable to take a leak or do anything else. I'm sure he
would rather be outside. At least he can run around, smell the fresh
air and rough house with my other dog.


dogs left outside without their owners, even if they have
another dog for company, usually get bored. bored dogs find
ways to entertain themselves.


And how is sitting inside entertaining?

barking is entertaining. now
that you've taken away your dog's chief form of entertainment,
hopefully he won't replace it with some other activity, like
digging out or licking himself raw. good luck with that!


Well he doesn't have those problems. He just barks. I've used the
collar for a long time without any side effects. He replaces his bark
with a low growling sound which doesn't disturb the neighbors.


Since I want to keep my dog (who I have had for 9 years now).
I can A) have him debarked. B) use a shock collar or C) use a
citronella collar. Since he doesn't bark with the citronella
collar on that's the one I use. Simple as that.


that's certainly your right, but you *do* have more options
than that.


To me, your option is much worse than the Citronella collar. The
only problem with the collar is it's durabillity.


i expect you are correct, at least with regard to your own
dog. some breeds are more likely to indulge in recreational
barking than others. i don't know if Afghans fall in that
category or not, but your individual dog apparently does. i
expect he might not be as apt to bark if he weren't stuck
outside, though.


I find the only hard and fast rule about dogs is that there are no
hard a fast rules. Some dogs don't respond to rewards well. They are
independent and/or easily distracted. I tried to train my dog to heal,
sit etc. with extremely limited success. I had treats, a choke collar
(he would just choke himself to death) and read books. I started to
think he was just stupid. However because the citronella bark collar
worked so well I got a citronella training collar. In about five
minutes he would heal come, sit, stay and I only had to hit the button
a couple of times. Now he just follows orders if he sees the box in my
hand. As it turned out it wasn't that he was stupid. He was just
willful. You may think it's cruel but I don't think it's any worse
than a CHOKE or PINCH collar which you see on dogs all over the place.

Ram
 




Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Electric collar users Scott Dog behavior 0 January 5th 04 01:51 PM
Electric collar users Scott Dog behavior 0 January 5th 04 01:51 PM
Remote citronella collar Victor Dog behavior 0 September 17th 03 07:02 PM
Remote citronella collar Victor Dog behavior 0 September 17th 03 07:02 PM
Remote citronella collar Victor Dog behavior 0 September 17th 03 07:02 PM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 10:43 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.2.0 (Unregistered)
Copyright 2004-2019 DogBanter.
The comments are property of their posters.