New female chihuahua marking in the house - crate trainning?

Old May 18th 04, 03:17 AM
Eric

Default New female chihuahua marking in the house - crate trainning?

I just got a 2 year old female chihuahua today. She's a very sweet
dog, and very well mannered. She's perfect, except for the fact that
she wants to pee in 4 or 5 spots in the house. We have another dog,
so I think she may be spotting, even though I've never heard of a
female dog marking its territory before. Is this common?

Is she trying to tell me she wants to go outside and use the bathroom?

Will crate training keep her from doing this?

Any help would be appreciated. Thx
Old May 18th 04, 03:42 AM
Perry Templeton

I have a female, spayed, that marks incessantly. Not in the house
though....
Of course, the best advice is to take the little lady to the vet and rule
out medical problems.
Perry
om...

Old May 18th 04, 03:57 AM

On 17 May 2004 19:17:58 -0700 Eric whittled these words:
I just got a 2 year old female chihuahua today. She's a very sweet
dog, and very well mannered. She's perfect, except for the fact that
she wants to pee in 4 or 5 spots in the house. We have another dog,
so I think she may be spotting, even though I've never heard of a
female dog marking its territory before. Is this common?

It is very common for a dog to become "un-housetrained" when they go to a
new home. One of the fundamental elements of housetraining is for the dog
to view the house as a "den" AKA "home".

Is she trying to tell me she wants to go outside and use the bathroom?

Probably not, although that does happen when people rush the dog outside
only when they see it squatting.

Will crate training keep her from doing this?

If you crate train just as if she were a puppy the chances are you will be
able to train the behavior away more quickly than a puppy. Make sure she
goes out on at least the same schedule as your other dog so she has an
example to follow.

--
Diane Blackman
http://dog-play.com/

Old May 18th 04, 06:37 AM
Rocky

Eric said in rec.pets.dogs.behavior:

I just got a 2 year old female chihuahua today. She's a
very sweet dog, and very well mannered. She's perfect,
except for the fact that she wants to pee in 4 or 5 spots
in the house. We have another dog, so I think she may be
spotting, even though I've never heard of a female dog
marking its territory before. Is this common?

The only female dog that I've owned used to mark, but only
outside. Interestingly, neither of my male dogs mark (OK, they
do, but rarely).

The first two things that I'd do is to clean all of the pee
areas with an enzymatic cleaner that gets rid of the protein in
the stain (Nature's Miracle is one brand, there are others). At
the same time, you should consider gettin both your new pup and
your older dog checked for urinary tract infections - the new
pup because a UTI will make her want to pee more often, the
older dog because the odour will make the young one want to go.

Is she trying to tell me she wants to go outside and use
the bathroom?

There are lots of ways that dogs tell us they need to go
outside, many of which we don't pick up on. If she constantly
peed near the door that she's used to going out through, what
you said may be true, but since she's peeing in a number of
spots, I'd suspect that she's just having a difficult time
getting used to her new space, medical conditions aside. Start
taking her outside on a fixed schedule if you aren't already.

Will crate training keep her from doing this?

Crate training is an adjunct of management - when you're not in
a postion to supervise her, it gives you the ability to not
allow her to make mistakes. The fewer mistakes she makes, the
smoother her integration into your family. Crate training can
be misused; if you go this route, you should look further into
it.

--
--Matt. Rocky's a Dog.