Anxiety disorder

Old May 18th 04, 03:51 AM
Jon B. Resnik

Default Anxiety disorder

My 12 year old Lab, McCabe, recently developed a severe anxiety disorder
that has me and two vets baffled. In the past, McCabe was always a very
independent soul, but as of two weeks ago, he's become extremely needy of
attention and reassurance, often following me around the house whining and
panting. At first I thought something in my apartment spooked him, but ruled
that out once I took him to several other homes and noticed the same
symptoms manifesting. Next, my vet did thorough blood work on McCabe to rule
out anything medical and/or hormonal, and everything came back negative,
including the test for Cushing's Disease. McCabe's faculties are still razor
sharp: his vision, hearing, housebreaking and general state of alertness are
fine, so I'm not inclined to think it's senility. His appetite is healthy,
no excessive thirst, no diarrhea, no vomiting. My vet prescribed 5mg of
Valium to be administered on an as-needed basis, not to exceed one 5mg dose
every 12 hours. Unfortunately, for the last two days, I've had to give
McCabe Valium to enable him to relax and to put an end to his pacing,
panting and clinginess. Also, without the aide of Valium, when McCabe
finally does lie down he often springs up from his repose as though
something has startled him.

Can anyone offer a suggestion as to what my dog is suffering from? Over the
last couple of weeks, sleep for the two of us has been scarce and I'm
beginning to get terribly concerned.

Thank you.

Old May 18th 04, 06:45 AM
Rocky

Jon B. Resnik said in rec.pets.dogs.behavior:

McCabe's faculties are still razor
sharp: his vision, hearing, housebreaking and general state
of alertness are fine, so I'm not inclined to think it's
senility.

Search "Canine Cognitive Disorder" (including the quotes) -
there are some symptoms that seen particular to dogs and not the
senility seen in humans.

Old May 18th 04, 08:41 AM
Diana

"Rocky" wrote in message
Jon B. Resnik said in rec.pets.dogs.behavior:

McCabe's faculties are still razor
sharp: his vision, hearing, housebreaking and general state
of alertness are fine, so I'm not inclined to think it's
senility.

Search "Canine Cognitive Disorder" (including the quotes) -
there are some symptoms that seen particular to dogs and not the
senility seen in humans.

It might also just be that he's realising he's not as strong and fit as he
once was and is beginning to feel a little vulnerable, a little like older
people who have lead strong, independent lives might suddenly start fussing
over things that seem quite trivial, though they are certainly not senile. I
have a few friends and acquaintances that have been through (and going
through) this with their elderly parents and find it quite hard to cope with
unless they can treat the situation with a little humour.

When my GSD (who was an older rescue), who came with a few anxiety problems,
started getting much worse, I started trawling the internet on anything I
could find, and found that it really was quite common in older dogs - not
senility, just more prone to fussing and getting distressed over very
little.

If all medical possibilities have been ruled out, I would basically treat
all of his fussing with a little humour - whatever you do, don't try and
'comfort' him, as this is sure fired to make the problem worse, but make
light of it and laugh at him - dogs seem to learn quite early on in life
that people laughing is a sign that things are good and will usually act up
to it.

Good luck

Diana

Old May 18th 04, 12:29 PM

Rocky wrote:
Search "Canine Cognitive Disorder" (including the quotes) -
there are some symptoms that seen particular to dogs and not the
senility seen in humans.

It generally shows up as a cluster of symptoms, rather than
just one.

As a result of the Bush tax cuts, taxes on wages are
now 2.5 times greater than taxes on investment income.