Anxiety disorder

Old May 18th 04, 03:51 AM
Jon B. Resnik

Default Anxiety disorder

My 12 year old Lab, McCabe, recently developed a severe anxiety disorder
that has me and two vets baffled. In the past, McCabe was always a very
independent soul, but as of two weeks ago, he's become extremely needy of
attention and reassurance, often following me around the house whining and
panting. At first I thought something in my apartment spooked him, but ruled
that out once I took him to several other homes and noticed the same
symptoms manifesting. Next, my vet did thorough blood work on McCabe to rule
out anything medical and/or hormonal, and everything came back negative,
including the test for Cushing's Disease. McCabe's faculties are still razor
sharp: his vision, hearing, housebreaking and general state of alertness are
fine, so I'm not inclined to think it's senility. His appetite is healthy,
no excessive thirst, no diarrhea, no vomiting. My vet prescribed 5mg of
Valium to be administered on an as-needed basis, not to exceed one 5mg dose
every 12 hours. Unfortunately, for the last two days, I've had to give
McCabe Valium to enable him to relax and to put an end to his pacing,
panting and clinginess. Also, without the aide of Valium, when McCabe
finally does lie down he often springs up from his repose as though
something has startled him.

Can anyone offer a suggestion as to what my dog is suffering from? Over the
last couple of weeks, sleep for the two of us has been scarce and I'm
beginning to get terribly concerned.

Thank you.