Animal Nuts Have Worst Pets

Old May 18th 04, 08:30 PM
LaDonnaMemphis

Default Animal Nuts Have Worst Pets

Did you ever notice that self-proclaimed "animal nuts" have the very worst
pets?

The reason is simple. They are unable to select out and cull DECENT animals
from trash pets. These sordid people are the ones who perpetuate horrible
strains of dogs and cats in the world. They go to the Pound and "rescue" the
most disgusting types of dogs --terrible personalities, genetic diseases, etc
--the sort of animals that NEED to be put to death. And, then they keep these
horrid creatures in their homes and yards...for YEARS.

A normal person who has a fondness for animals will go to the Pound and select
a dog or cat. They take it home and "try it out". Give it a good chance to see
whether it can work out for you. If the pet turns out to be a nightmare,
untrainable, uncorrigible, then you take it back and select another pet. A
reasonable, normal person does this and very soon they get an excellent dog or
cat. One that everyone is happy to be in the company of, a decent pet that can
live a long life and make us all happy.

Not so the animal nut. You go to their house and the stench overwhelms you, ten
feet from their dog. "Sparky" the spastic spaniel that they "rescued" from the
Pound a dozen years ago, has been terrorizing the neighbors for years,
frantically racing from one side of the fence to the other...barking and
BARKING. Or the "delightful lap dog" that they are so proud of..is a bloated
monster that tries to hump your leg and snaps at you, when you smack it away.

"Animal nuts" give all of us true friends of animals a BAD name!
Old May 19th 04, 02:15 AM
Julia Altshuler

LaDonnaMemphis wrote:
Did you ever notice that self-proclaimed "animal nuts" have the very worst
pets?

Not so the animal nut. You go to their house and the stench overwhelms you, ten
feet from their dog.

I ran into this phenomenon once. I ran a business that involved home
delivery. I got to know my customers a little over the phone. One
customer seemed at first like someone I had something in common with as
we both liked dogs so much. As a business aside, I knew my customer was
having trouble paying. She'd tell me about her work, her medical bills,
trouble paying for even the electricity for her home. I was
sympathetic. As she told me more, I started hearing about money
decisions that sounded questionable to me, but giving advice wasn't my
business, and besides, it's not like I haven't made some stupid
decisions in my life.

Then she described her experience at the pound. This was in Miami at a
time where the county shelter put down a hundred healthy animals a day.
Sure enough, she'd gone and found the dog that most needed medical
care that she couldn't afford. She told me this in terms that made it
apparent that she was sure she was doing a good deed. As an animal
lover, part of me understood what it was to spend scarce money on
medical care for a dog you love, but I couldn't quite understand
purposely choosing the sickest dog while a healthy one would die in its
stead. It seemed different to me if the stray appears on your doorstep
and you start feeding it and then take it to the vet.

Then I delivered to her house rather than the delivery man.
Unbelievable! The place wasn't quite bad enough for me to want to call
the authorities for code violations, but it was close. It smelled. The
dogs were all barking with natural territoriality, but they caused such
a clamor. I couldn't call her a collector since the animals were all
getting medical care, and the place was somewhat picked up, but she had
no furniture. The house was run down, ugly, given over to the animals,
and she was having trouble meeting her other bills.

Meanwhile, she was slowly going through every vet in town. Most are
willing to give breaks to the sincere animal lover who has trouble
paying, but they started to see through and feel taken advantage of. No
one wanted to take on the charity cases of the crazy lady.

--Lia