People Who Shouldn't Have Dogs

Old May 19th 04, 07:17 PM
shelly

Default People Who Shouldn't Have Dogs

i just got an e-mail from a someone i used to work with. she
asked me how elliott was doing (he was a wee baby puppy when
she and i worked together). at the time, she had a Pointer x
Dal who, not surprisingly, was super high octane. the dog was
completely ignored, unexercised, and unhousebroken. she
eventually got rid of the dog because it was too much of a
pain in the ass. nice, eh?

so, she's married now and has a ~2yo son. they're thinking of
getting a dog. i, cringing, asked "what kind?" any kind her
son wants, was the answer. i think my brane explodiated at
that point. i told her that she should carefully research
what kind of dog to get, because it's important to make sure
the dog will fit into their lifestyle. knowing her, i
cautioned her to stay away from Labs, GRs, Boxers, etc.
because they're high octane. i explained that they need
training and daily exercise or she'll create behavioral
problems. her response was "we have a big fenced yard, and
the dog will stay outside all day." i told her why A) that
isn't a substitute for exercise and B) why it could be
dangerous for the dog. she said *maybe* she'd reconsider
walking the dog.

i give up.

--
shelly (perfectly foul wench) and elliott and harriet
http://home.bluemarble.net/~scouvrette
Old May 19th 04, 08:22 PM
Rocky

shelly said in rec.pets.dogs.behavior:

i give up.

After all of my advice to my brother (who wanted a GSD X Lab
because he likes both and wanted the best of both) including
checking at the pound with behaviour foremost in mind, he went
to a "breeder" and came home with a Lab X GSP.

Oh well, he's got the dog and while I'm ready to give up on my
brother, I'm not going to give up on the dog. My brother means
well and will probably give the dog a good home. I'm pretty
sure that his new wife will rid him of his belief that dogs
prefer to live outside (he used to live in northern Canada and
had Nordic breeds). Whatever help I can give long-distance, I
will.

--
--Matt. Rocky's a Dog.

Old May 20th 04, 03:07 AM
Sunflower

We just had a gorgeous year old beagle surrendered at our shelter on
Saturday because she "ate her poop and would kiss the baby". The SOB who
surrendered her would rather sprinkle red pepper on the poop than scoop it
up! Too much trouble to exercise and training was "expensive". She also "ate
the air conditioner" and "dug out". Idiot put LATTICE around the AC unit,
thinking that would keep her away from it. No he was NOT going to have an
electric wire around with a baby. I told him that most of the time kids
were smarter than dogs, or at least I hoped so. None of the educational
suggestions penetrated a bit, so that's why I got snippy with him. Nothing
was going to change his mind, so I wasn't going to make it easy for him to
discard her without at least *some* of the brutal truth. The last thing I
told him was that until he educated himself a bit about dog ownership he
should never get another dog. *sigh* He already had the replacement puppy
in the car. A yellow lab that was way too small to be away from it's mom
already. Which he'll also throw out into the back yard with no training and
we'll get in the next 6-12 months.

We're working with Katelyn, but she's terrified of men. Assholes wander the
earth unperterbed by their assholery and leave others to clean up their
messes. People suck.

Old May 20th 04, 01:07 PM
shelly

on 2004-05-19 at 19:22 wrote:

After all of my advice to my brother (who wanted a GSD X Lab
because he likes both and wanted the best of both) including
checking at the pound with behaviour foremost in mind, he
went to a "breeder" and came home with a Lab X GSP.

she e-mailed me before i left work and said that she and her
husband really, really want a Boxer. i'm doing my damnedest
to dissuade her, but i feel like i'm talking to a brick wall.

i've recently had four different people tell me they decided
to get a Boxer after meeting harriet.[1] when i try to give
them a realistic picture of what it's like to actually *live*
with her, the general response has been "but *you* have a
Boxer." yeah, and x, y, and z are what i have to do to make
sure she doesn't turn my house and life inside-out.
sometimes i wish to hell harriet weren't such an appealing
dog. people fall in love with her and want a dog "just like"
her. lordy. i never thought i'd be the owner of one of Those
Dogs. i'm not enjoying the responsibility.

Oh well, he's got the dog and while I'm ready to give up on my
brother, I'm not going to give up on the dog.

exactly. the friend in question, after telling me they want a
Boxer, said that at least she's got a good resource for when
she needs help: me. i don't want to beat her over the head
*too* much, because i *want* her to feel like she can ask for
help.

My brother means well and will probably give the dog a good
home. I'm pretty sure that his new wife will rid him of his
belief that dogs prefer to live outside (he used to live in
northern Canada and had Nordic breeds). Whatever help I can
give long-distance, I will.

it sounds like it could actually turn into a pretty good
thing!

[1] one of them is my landlady, who is trying to get one from
her BYBing brother. that's just what i need, a daily reminder
that someone is neglecting a Boxer. this dog will be a 24/7
outside dog. it gets ass cold in Indiana in the winter. i
get sick every time i think about it. if they *do* get a
Boxer, i may have to move, just to preserve my sanity. i know
that train wrecks like that happen everywhere, but i don't
think i want a front-row seat to one.