Lab/Rot 11 Months (TEMPER PROBLEMS)

Old May 21st 04, 05:39 AM
Derek

Default Lab/Rot 11 Months (TEMPER PROBLEMS)

Hi all, I have a lab/rotty about 11 months old. Very healthy dog. He
is house trained and knows a few tricks. One of his big problems is
when we give him a rawhide or big bone or he some how gets a peice of
trash.....if he is biting on his bone doing the usual and we try to
pet him/look at him/or go near him...he has a visssscious growl and is
very scary...sometimes if you push it too much he'll go at you and
explode w/ anger...a few times he has bit us (IT HURT) But i don't
know if this is normal or we have trained him wrong or needs to be
trained again. Hes 11 months, so maybe its too late??? This is a
chronic problem and always seems to happen when he has a
bone/rawhide/peice of trash. We can't touch him or pet him.
Sometimes if he flips out and goes at ya we have to spray him with the
apple vinegar, thats the only way to protect yourself sometimes. In
all other situatoins he is a very nice and lovely dog.

Comments.....Suggestions are much appreciated!!

Thank You.
Old May 21st 04, 09:39 AM
Diana

"Derek" wrote in message
om...
Hi all, I have a lab/rotty about 11 months old. Very healthy dog. He
is house trained and knows a few tricks. One of his big problems is
when we give him a rawhide or big bone or he some how gets a peice of
trash.....if he is biting on his bone doing the usual and we try to
pet him/look at him/or go near him...he has a visssscious growl and is
very scary...sometimes if you push it too much he'll go at you and
explode w/ anger...a few times he has bit us (IT HURT)

You need to sort this immediately, its a problem that'll only get worse and
a big dog can do serious damage.

Please ignore previous advice on who to consult - you won't get what you
need from the internet, especially from someone such as he - you need a
*qualified* pet behaviour therapist, which you can be refer to via your vet.
Ask to be referred to a member of the association of pet behaviour
counsellors. ('fraid I don't know the US link, but someone else here should)

In the meantime, don't let him have *any* rawhide chews (which aren't very
good for him anyway) or bones and keep your trash out of his reach. I give
my dog marrow bones cos she doesn't have a problem. Yours does so I doubt
you'll ever be able to let him have one again - but if you are dedicated to
getting through this, who knows.

If after you have taken all preventative measures, he still manages to get
hold of something, *DON'T* try and take it from him, instead offer a swap -
I bake liver cake for my 10.5 month old pup and though she's not at all
resource guarding, its always handy to have something to exchange, or for
absolute emergencies, I keep a glass of water in every room. Most things get
dropped immediately on my warning 'You'll get wet'.

In my pups case, I don't want to encourage her to swallow stuff, which is
why I swap rather than take - in your pup's case, you need to teach him that
giving you stuff earns him better stuff,

Good luck and progress reports would be great,

Diana

Old May 21st 04, 10:56 AM
Pat

"Derek" wrote in message
om...
[...]

Hi,
If you dog is possessive with food then DO NOT challenge him.
One day if you do ... he will one day bite you.
A growl is just a warning.
In the wild dogs and other animals would have to WIN their food.
Once they have it then it is theirs.

I think dogs get possevive with food when they are young and fed from the
same bowl.
Some breeders do if and the fittest survive...leaving the others to fight
for what they can get.
Hence when you get the dog he ...will make sure you do not do the same as
his litter mates.
Then when he see's he has made you a little scared of him .....YOU have
lost.
Do NOT allow your dog any form of treats he will be possevive over.
Taking the problem out leads for a happier life for you and your dog.
Also when you feed him .. don't leave food down.
After he goes away pick it up.

Another problem might be that he may get something that is dangerous to him.
Again do NOT be tempted to take it away.
Trade it like.... call him away while someone lifts it.
Just take all the problems out of the situation.
Same with toys...if there are children about put them away.
Good luck
Pat.

Old May 21st 04, 10:56 AM
Pat

"Derek" wrote in message
om...
[...]

shelly DETHRONES NESSA as MVP (Most Valuable Psychotic) of dog newsgroups!! _michael 2.76 Dog breeds 0 September 20th 04 01:28 AM
Fidget Report, Eight Months, and Other Stuff (long) Kevin Michael Vail Dog behavior 0 April 14th 04 02:11 AM
Beagle Problems Kano Dog behavior 24 December 30th 03 11:07 AM
Beagle Problems Kano Dog behavior 0 December 18th 03 01:24 AM
Curing problems with rescue dogs Tara O. Dog rescue 0 August 14th 03 04:36 PM